JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just trying to see if others feel the same. I'm perusing the classifieds and I keep seeing the word "custom". Now, just because you drove down to see Curt or drove out to Cabelas and bought everything including a snowcone machine that you could possibly bolt on with no effort, doesn't make it "custom". Now if you got on the horn called and emailed a Master Smith doing work to a 1911 for you, that is custom. Anyone else see where I'm coming from and agree? Just tired of seeing Custom Glock 19 and all that has been done is night sights and extra magazines.

Jeff

Ok, let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just trying to see if others feel the same. I'm perusing the classifieds and I keep seeing the word "custom". Now, just because you drove down to see Curt or drove out to Cabelas and bought everything including a snowcone machine that you could possibly bolt on with no effort, doesn't make it "custom". Now if you got on the horn called and emailed a Master Smith doing work to a 1911 for you, that is custom. Anyone else see where I'm coming from and agree? Just tired of seeing Custom Glock 19 and all that has been done is night sights and extra magazines.

Jeff
In your mind replace the word "custom" with the word "personalized", problem solved.

Well if you have added non oem parts to a factory build, have you not customized it? It is up to to buyer to discern what parts may or may not actually enhance the firearm. Don't like somebody's customized firearm just move along.

These days everything is "custom" because everybody thinks that they have the only one of their item in existence.
It would be best for everyone's benefit if I would stop talking right about now.:cool:

I agree with the substance of your complaint up to the point becoming upset over it. I've met a few guys with a broken screwdriver considering themselves a gun smith cause they got the grips off. I always look real close at the gun with boogered up screw heads and marks around the pins before deciding to buy.
Swapping parts doesn't fit my "custom" bill.
An example of custom for me:
I took a Remington R1 to Brimstone Machining to have a Leupold delta pro put to it. No Leupold, Remington or aftermarket MFG had a mount, so they design, machined, beautifully finished and installed it for me. Thank you kindly.

It's similar as a pet peeve of mine with people who "build" things like Ar-15s by assembling them from parts.
I agree with that. I build parts kits and AKs. That's building. ARs and glocks are "assembling". I feel the same about 1911s, etc. Some guns just need more fitting than others. Very few actually build anymore. Very few have machined parts for their firearms. I'm not talking 80% receivers or cutting a slide for optics but actually machined parts or had to design parts. I always love shooting a firearm that I built from a pile of scrap and raw stock.

I wouldn't say I own a single custom gun. Guns with aftermarket bolt one which may or may not be replicated identically somewhere else, sure. But I've never, ever, had a gun made for me to whatever spec I wanted or fit personally to my hand. Nor have I made one. I have assembled a few. I agree with OP on nearly all counts. Very similar feeling to "upgraded" guns. Maybe I think your bolt ons are a downgrade. How bow dat???

PS, "custom" does not mean "good"

Jeff
I think it's because they think "custom" = more valuable. But for self-made "customized" guns, they are often the same value or even less than original (I don't mean professional custom guns from established custom shops).

There are exceptions of course, such as well known basic or universally accepted upgrades. The more "customized" it is from original, the more you have to look for a buyer that has the same tastes as your own.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top