Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good introductory firearms courses for teenage female?

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by SonicBlue03, Feb 24, 2012.

1. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

A co-worker's daughter would like to start shooting more (recreationally, but possibly competitively (?) down the road). Her family wants to get her training/shooting courses for her birthday in the next month or so but is struggling to find the best place to look. They're eastside (Bellevue) but there's some opportunity to travel if necessary.

For reasons not going to list, there is a desire to opt out of Wade's as an option but feedback on all options appreciated. This is a teenager around 16-17 years old, religiously watches shows like Top Shot, and is a responsible student/daughter (doesn't get in trouble, etc., etc.)

Any recommendations and feedback, pro or con, appreciated. Assume it can be pistol, rifle, or shotgun and would like recommendations for any and all.

2. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

Look at the add's at the top of the page...

3. SonicBlue03

I should've probably included that travel to Oregon would be too far.

4. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

I know a firearms training in Snoqualmi if you are interested in a one-on-one.

5. SonicBlue03

I can pass that along; I think they'll be looking more for a class setting.

6. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

I've been doing the online hunter safety class with my oldest girl. You can do everything except take the final test for free. Lots of good info on safety, guns, hunting, etc.

Riot and (deleted member) like this.
  7. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Try theses guys
    West Coast Armory Indoor Range & Pro Shop Bellevue
    13216 SE 32nd Street
    Bellevue WA
    +1 425 641 2877

8. SKN

SKN Keizer, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Might check with Firearms Academy of Seattle in Onalaska. Marty's wife, Gila, has run women only classes there.

Adam12 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Wifey

Wifey N.E. PDX Active Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I would check in with the local County Sheriff's office. I took the Basic Handgun Skill Development class at our local office. They have a variety of classes available and are priced pretty good.
    Hope you find something suitable---I'm excited for the girl!

Wifey

10. MStarmer

MStarmer Arlington New Member

Me and my wife have been taking classes from Marty and Gila since 1990, cannot recommend them highly enough! They have every class you need from beginner on up. They do have women only classes now and then but even the others aren't run "macho". You may have to drive a bit but they are well worth it! They were working with the Norpoint Range up here in Arlington but have since terminated that agreement.

The Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc.

11. SonicBlue03

Thanks all for the feedback. I've provided it over to my co-worker and she has also extended a thank-you for the feedback and options as well. Hopefully it all works out for them!

12. Steve06

Steve06 Oregon Active Member

I also would recommend Gila Hayes of the Firearms Academy at Onalaska. I watched her outshoot her husband, Marty, with a shotgun once. She would be perfect.

13. Jacurso

Jacurso Douglas Co. Active Member

I've been teaching youngsters, teenagers and adults how to shoot rifles, pistols and shotguns for 37 years......well over 5,000 trained. But, I am in Southern Oregon and it would be too far for her to travel.
    30 years ago, instructors in Oregon were few...not any longer. It's probably a safe bet that Washington is the same.

14. LoneStar

LoneStar WA Active Member

I think they got rid of the women only classes in 2012.

15. Serenity

Serenity WA New Member

I took my son to the local NRA basic pistol course when he was 14 and we were both total newbies. I know they probably vary in quality from instructor to instructor but ours were excellent.

16. orygunmike

orygunmike Beaverton, OR Active Member

I agree with recommendations for Firearms Academy of Seattle (FAS).

Let me add another recommendation: Kathy Jackson. Along with being associated with FAS for several years, Kathy is also the Editor of US Concealed Carry Magazine and becoming a well known firearms instructor in her own right. She has a terrific website, Cornered Cat that the entire family can benefit from by reading. She also has a dedicated site for her training company, Corned Cat Training Company, Cornered Cat - Cornered Cat Training Company

It looks like she has a class coming up in June that will be held at FAS.

Kathy is also a member of this site, and goes under the handle "pax".

good luck

Riot and (deleted member) like this.
  17. CarlMc

CarlMc Safely north of Seattle Active Member

Call up Norpoint Range in Arlington and ask. There was a note there the other day about them changing their connections relating to training, but they should help you get some training more local.

18. dustoffmedic

dustoffmedic Willsonville Member

I will bring her up to you.. how about setting up a classon the coast ...

19. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

No way! I didn't know Kathy was here...I love the website "Cornered Cat"!

20. DEADTIME

DEADTIME Coeur D alene Active Member

U.S. Army basic, she will be out of your hair for years, gain a lifetime of firearms training and come home with college money.