JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A co-worker's daughter would like to start shooting more (recreationally, but possibly competitively (?) down the road). Her family wants to get her training/shooting courses for her birthday in the next month or so but is struggling to find the best place to look. They're eastside (Bellevue) but there's some opportunity to travel if necessary.

For reasons not going to list, there is a desire to opt out of Wade's as an option but feedback on all options appreciated. This is a teenager around 16-17 years old, religiously watches shows like Top Shot, and is a responsible student/daughter (doesn't get in trouble, etc., etc.)

Any recommendations and feedback, pro or con, appreciated. Assume it can be pistol, rifle, or shotgun and would like recommendations for any and all.

I would check in with the local County Sheriff's office. I took the Basic Handgun Skill Development class at our local office. They have a variety of classes available and are priced pretty good.
Hope you find something suitable---I'm excited for the girl!

Wifey

Me and my wife have been taking classes from Marty and Gila since 1990, cannot recommend them highly enough! They have every class you need from beginner on up. They do have women only classes now and then but even the others aren't run "macho". You may have to drive a bit but they are well worth it! They were working with the Norpoint Range up here in Arlington but have since terminated that agreement.

The Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc.

Thanks all for the feedback. I've provided it over to my co-worker and she has also extended a thank-you for the feedback and options as well. Hopefully it all works out for them!

I also would recommend Gila Hayes of the Firearms Academy at Onalaska. I watched her outshoot her husband, Marty, with a shotgun once. She would be perfect.

I've been teaching youngsters, teenagers and adults how to shoot rifles, pistols and shotguns for 37 years......well over 5,000 trained. But, I am in Southern Oregon and it would be too far for her to travel.
30 years ago, instructors in Oregon were few...not any longer. It's probably a safe bet that Washington is the same.

I took my son to the local NRA basic pistol course when he was 14 and we were both total newbies. I know they probably vary in quality from instructor to instructor but ours were excellent.

I agree with recommendations for Firearms Academy of Seattle (FAS).

Let me add another recommendation: Kathy Jackson. Along with being associated with FAS for several years, Kathy is also the Editor of US Concealed Carry Magazine and becoming a well known firearms instructor in her own right. She has a terrific website, Cornered Cat that the entire family can benefit from by reading. She also has a dedicated site for her training company, Corned Cat Training Company, <broken link removed>

It looks like she has a class coming up in June that will be held at FAS.

Kathy is also a member of this site, and goes under the handle "pax".

good luck

I've been teaching youngsters, teenagers and adults how to shoot rifles, pistols and shotguns for 37 years......well over 5,000 trained. But, I am in Southern Oregon and it would be too far for her to travel.
30 years ago, instructors in Oregon were few...not any longer. It's probably a safe bet that Washington is the same.

I will bring her up to you.. how about setting up a classon the coast ...

I agree with recommendations for Firearms Academy of Seattle (FAS).

Let me add another recommendation: Kathy Jackson. Along with being associated with FAS for several years, Kathy is also the Editor of US Concealed Carry Magazine and becoming a well known firearms instructor in her own right. She has a terrific website, Cornered Cat that the entire family can benefit from by reading. She also has a dedicated site for her training company, Corned Cat Training Company, <broken link removed>

It looks like she has a class coming up in June that will be held at FAS.

Kathy is also a member of this site, and goes under the handle "pax".

good luck

No way! I didn't know Kathy was here...I love the website "Cornered Cat"!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top