JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wait for it...Wait for it.....here it comes.....Orygun's gonna do this....come on....best '06 man on our planet....come on.....

Crap. Probably at work.

Anyway. I own only three (and that is pathetic): an '03 original Springfield, a Winchester '95, and a Mannlicher Schoenauer. I think the caliber is mundane, boring, pedestrian, and quite most probably the best caliber on the entire blue marble.

(This written PRIOR to reading Boddington's treatise.)

I read this article, or one nearly identical in a recent magazine. This guy (Boddington) has enough hunting experience to really know what he's talking about. Since he champions my favorite hunting round, it's kinda hard not to like the guy.:D

The first time I read an article by Craig Boddington it was pretty similar. That was probably 10 years ago. It summed up what I knew, or thought I knew.

Spitpatch is right. I think the world of the ol 30-06 Springfield. I've owned many rifles over the years, but once I bought my 1st 30-06, it was a rare day that I toted anything different when chasing deer or elk.

Funny thing is, I grew up not liking the 30-06. It was kind of the Small Block Chevy of the gun world (and I'm a Ford guy!) Seemed like everyone had one except Dad. He had a British 303, which explains my soft spot for that one. He now uses a 30-06 that I bought for him.

I know many people who still share the opinion that I had as a kid. They don't like it. But when we get right down to it, they have to admit that it is one of the best cartridges, ever.

I now have two 06 rifles that are "keepers". One is a Kimber Montana that I received as an anniversary present last year. The other is a 1954 vintage Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. These are the two guns I will likely hunt with for the rest of my life.

Geez, what a relief. Thought for a minute there, I wuz gonna hafta singlehandedly defend a cartridge I don't like (but know its the best).

Right now there's a group of young bucks tryin' ta figure out how a guy can not like a cartridge, but know its the best.

(They cruise the internet, vehemently defending their chosen. They never defend what they know is righL even if it is against what they prefer. Wait.....maybe they don't yet know what's right!)

I think right now, I am stepping on the fringes of a political discussion, and so I will momentarily defer. Because there CERTAINLY is a parallel here with current events.

Post Script: I'm going "New Thread: with this. thought about doing it here, but I'm a fanatic for poking sticks in a hornet's nest, a fanatic for Zombie Threads, and a fanatic for keeping Orygun from sleeping or grandkids.

Git Ready: Formulating a .30-06 thread. (Cartridge I am bored with, have no time for, so much more exciting things, etc,. etc., ad infinitum)

Funny thing is, I grew up not liking the 30-06. It was kind of the Small Block Chevy of the gun world...

Ugh...my first and favorite hunting rifle is my 700 in .30-06. But hearing it described like that makes me want to re-barrel it as I am not a SBC fan. Maybe I should upgrade it to a .30-06 AI....that at least be an SBC with a super charger on it right?

:D SBC or not, the .30-06 is a great round.

Ugh...my first and favorite hunting rifle is my 700 in .30-06. But hearing it described like that makes me want to re-barrel it as I am not a SBC fan. Maybe I should upgrade it to a .30-06 AI....that at least be an SBC with a super charger on it right?

:D SBC or not, the .30-06 is a great round.

That's how I felt as a kid, for sure. At least the small Fords became very popular in the late 80's and I wasn't sooooo alone!

And that 30-06AI? Man, have I thought about for a while now. If you do that, let me know how it goes. I'm all ears!

The funny part about the ol' '06 is that I have always preferred the other rounds built on the parent cartridge.
Even though I've owned 4 different '06s over the years, and shot them in matches extensively in my youth, I've never killed anything with one!
2-groove 03-A3.
2ea, M1 Garands.
Rem M721 collector piece.
All gone now.

But consider the wildcatting,...
280AI (.280Rem) and 338-06, both of which I would love to have.
The 25-06.
The 6.5-06,
The venerable ol' .270. I've lost count of the game I've killed with this one.
The .35 Whelen.

And while the parent round may be (one of) the best "all around" cartridges, the wildcats built off it all turn in better ballistics, or seem to be way better suited to specific uses.
Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt as to the '06's killing power, I just like the parent case better for other calibers.
IOW, there's nothing wrong with vanilla, I just like a little more exotic flavors. ;)

My hunting rifle is an .06, my future Garand will be an .06, and I am hoping against hope to some day inherit a sporterized 1903 Springfield in .06 which I will refurbish, and return to original military configuration.

I've owned 3 of them over the years and find them very hard to beat. I'm almost certain to have another just as soon as that next fixer upper comes my way for the right price. I'm aware that the .308 Win. is usually slightly a little more accurate and that the various .300 mags. have it slightly beat at uber long range....but except for a very very small percentage of us....who cares ? I've never shot farther than than 300 yds. in my life, at anything. My best '06 was a Rem 700. It shot about 3/4 m.o.a. The Remington 760 pump and Winchester 670 were solid 1 1/4" m.o.a. shooters. All certainly minute of blacktail heart.

Shooting a Rem 721 .300 H&H nowdays...but not because I think it's practical, just a lot of fun. :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top