JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I spent a year or so underground as a powder monkey mining for gold. I wouldn't recommend it as anything long term.

I've picked up lots of rocks too, this is my favorite by far, I call it my 'gut pile rock' cause I misidentified it as gut pile the first time I saw it.

gutpilerock.png

Technically it's the insides of a botryoidal chalcedony geode with some nodules of Owyhee River snakeskin agate.

I spent a year or so underground as a powder monkey mining for gold. I wouldn't recommend it as anything long term.

I've picked up lots of rocks too, this is my favorite by far, I call it my 'gut pile rock' cause I misidentified it as gut pile the first time I saw it.

View attachment 1375302

Technically it's the insides of a botryoidal chalcedony geode with some nodules of Owyhee River snakeskin agate.
That's a beauty!

Back when the kids were little, we took them camping at Richardson Rock Ranch.

They had a great time and we use the thunder eggs in separating the garden boxes.

I recently got into tumbling for rocks and agates. It's been a fun project figuring out the grits and time and different types of rocks.

The going out and finding stuff is always enjoyable. There are so many rivers to explore. Many have at least some form of something to look for and find.

EE4C5CEE-A876-42CC-920F-2B016B2BEEDC.jpeg 5CA0CAA7-CD98-4DEE-BFD2-27F3D3A3627F.jpeg D9F36483-E7C3-4919-B067-3DCE9DFB3032.jpeg F4DF6212-9B66-42A5-A6D1-5271C532A3FF.jpeg

I recently got into tumbling for rocks and agates. It's been a fun project figuring out the grits and time and different types of rocks.

The going out and finding stuff is always enjoyable. There are so many rivers to explore. Many have at least some form of something to look for and find.

View attachment 1375910 View attachment 1375911 View attachment 1375912 View attachment 1375913
Those look great. I haven't taken the step into tumbling yet but I think I'll try it later this summer.

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been interested in rockhounding and prospecting for years. I was never able to find a printed guide to rockhounding in Oregon, and it never occurred to me to look on line till now. Maybe we can use this thread to share information and resources. There are quite a few on line guides to rockhounding locations in Oregon. Here are the results of a search on Duck Duck Go:

One of my favorite locations, which I did not see listed in any of the aforementioned guides I looked at, is along Cow Creek, between Riddle and Glendale in Douglas County. There is a recreational gold panning site out there, and although I never tried panning, I was always able to collect a lot of nice quartz along the creek. It's a beautiful loop to drive, but the signage is not very good and it's easy to get lost back there, so be sure to have a full tank of gas. :) It is paved all the way, though. There's never much in the way of traffic on that road, even in summer.

Last Edited:
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been interested in rockhounding and prospecting for years. I was never able to find a printed guide to rockhounding in Oregon, and it never occurred to me to look on line till now. Maybe we can use this thread to share information and resources. There are quite a few on line guides to rockhounding locations in Oregon. Here are the results of a search on Duck Duck Go:

One of my favorite locations, which I did not see listed in any of the aforementioned guides I looked at, is along Cow Creek, between Riddle and Glendale in Douglas County. There is a recreational gold panning site out there, and although I never tried panning, I was always able to collect a lot of nice quartz along the creek. It's a beautiful loop to drive, but the signage is not very good and it's easy to get lost back there, so be sure to have a full tank of gas. :) It is paved all the way, though. There's never much in the way of traffic on that road, even in summer.

I have found some pretty nice stuff along the Willamette in Oregon city and near the rock quarry across the river from independence, mostly green and red jasper and a lot of carnelian.

I have been finding some sea floor fossils and a few minerals in rickreall creek in Dallas.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews