JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Calm down. This is not a revised version of the Kama Sutra.

Rather, the recurring phenomena I'd seen in others before I finally understood and engaged in it myself:

That of the accrual of an accessory to a gun before you ever possess the gun (and VERY often, doing so ignites the search for the gun).

I have a very close friend that I have openly ridiculed for buying ammo, dies, bullets, etc.,etc., for guns he does not have. Then he embarks on the search for the gun. Sometimes he rat-holes the stuff for years, only to reference it later (probably just to piss me off) when he locates the gun.

I have another friend that (almost literally) fell into a pile of .375 H&H stuff 2 years ago, and has been hunting for the "right gun" ever since.

At the Albany show this spring, I found a hidden treasure in a brand new Weaver V22 in the box with all papers. A reliable classic Weaver rimfire scope from the '70's-'80's.

1682214700968.jpeg

I have always considered one of the worst "trend-follies" in guns to be the sudden and almost complete departure from the slim-tube optics (3/4"-7/8") rimfire scopes that were so well-developed for their guns. But somebody in the late '70's said that "today's .22's deserve man-sized optics", and the switch was thrown almost overnight, and .22 owners and buyers came to settle for nothing less than a 1" tube. Even the optics manufacturers were caught unprepared, but suddenly developed "rimfire" segments to their lines (parallax free at 50 yards, or Adjustable Objective, or Extended Focus Range). The high-end stuff was wonderful for rifles that needed it and could use it.

For most .22's, and in almost all usage of them, they'd be far better served in all aspects by something smaller and trimmer.

And so, I had this beautiful Weaver. A veritable time-capsule from when rimfire optics matched the slim little guns they made better. Steel tube, deep blue finish, like somebody gave a rat's azz.

And the hunt was on. I sent a picture of my treasure to a buddy and said I needed to "find a rifle just 'chintzy enough' to match it". (I sorta had visions of a Winchester 190/250 something-or-other: another statement of the period).

At a large gun show later, I was exploring a fine assortment there of the Winchester 69/72's (bolt classics), and the Remington 510 series and later 580 (bolt guns). Winchester 190's and 250's ("chintzy" autos and levers) were not in abundance.

Prices on anything in decent shape (and it had to be new enough for a dovetail: V22's came with rings) were exorbitant, beginning at $450 for the bottom feeders. At a fast moving show, lots of money was seen, and lots of guns moved on and off of tables. On the second day of the show, on a table I'd bought from the day before, a new gun appeared.

"This wasn't here yesterday", I said with a smile.

"Oh! Yeah. Good to see you again, I went home last night and got it. It's a personal gun. I'll never shoot it again."

"How long have you had it?"

"Bought it new. Forty or fifty years ago."

And it was still new. A Marlin 780. untouched. 1981. A nice gun was bought for a scope for less money than anything on the Bi-Mart rack.

1682215281807.jpeg

Last Edited:
Calm down. This is not a revised version of the Kama Sutra.

Rather, the recurring phenomena I'd seen in others before I finally understood and engaged in it myself:

That of the accrual of an accessory to a gun before you ever possess the gun (and VERY often, doing so ignites the search for the gun).

I have a very close friend that I have openly ridiculed for buying ammo, dies, bullets, etc.,etc., for guns he does not have. Then he embarks on the search for the gun. Sometimes he rat-holes the stuff for years, only to reference it later (probably just to piss me off) when he locates the gun.

I have another friend that (almost literally) fell into a pile of .375 H&H stuff 2 years ago, and has been hunting for the "right gun" ever since.

At the Albany show this spring, I found a hidden treasure in a brand new Weaver V22 in the box with all papers. A reliable classic Weaver rimfire scope from the '70's-'80's.

View attachment 1410041

I have always considered one of the worst "trend-follies" in guns to be the sudden and almost complete departure from the slim-tube optics (3/4"-7/8") rimfire scopes that were so well-developed for their guns. But somebody in the late '70's said that "today's .22's deserve man-sized optics", and the switch was thrown almost overnight, and .22 owners and buyers came to settle for nothing less than a 1" tube. Even the optics manufacturers were caught unprepared, but suddenly developed "rimfire" segments to their lines (parallax free at 50 yards, or Adjustable Objective, or Extended Focus Range). The high-end stuff was wonderful for rifles that needed it and could use it.

For most .22's, and in almost all usage of them, they'd be far better served in all aspects by something smaller and trimmer.

And so, I had this beautiful Weaver. A veritable time-capsule from when rimfire optics matched the slim little guns they made better. Steel tube, deep blue finish, like somebody gave a rat's azz.

And the hunt was on. I sent a picture of my treasure to a buddy and said I needed to "find a rifle just 'chintzy enough' to match it". (I sorta had visions of a Winchester 190/250 something-or-other: another statement of the period).

At a large gun show later, I was exploring a fine assortment there of the Winchester 69/72's (bolt classics), and the Remington 510 series and later 580 (bolt guns). Winchester 190's and 250's ("chintzy" autos and levers) were not in abundance.

Prices on anything in decent shape (and it had to be new enough for a dovetail: V22's came with rings) were exorbitant, beginning at $450 for the bottom feeders. At a fast moving show, lots of money was seen, and lots of guns moved on and off of tables. On the second day of the show, on a table I'd bought from the day before, a new gun appeared.

"This wasn't here yesterday", I said with a smile.

"Oh! Yeah. Good to see you again, I went home last night and got it. It's a personal gun. I'll never shoot it again."

"How long have you had it?"

"Bought it new. Forty or fifty years ago."

And it was still new. A Marlin 780. untouched. 1981. A nice gun was bought for a scope for less money than anything on the Bi-Mart rack.

View attachment 1410042
If it results in an interesting and reliable gun, then it's all good. Many paths to get there.

If it results in an unreliable gun then the best one can say it's a learning experience so as not to do it again.

If it results in an interesting and reliable gun, then it's all good. Many paths to get there.

If it results in an unreliable gun then the best one can say it's a learning experience so as not to do it again.
As a new "convert" to the backwards process, I am not sure how the method of procurement itself would directly influence the reliability (good or bad) of the gun. "Experts" in the process (such as my two friends referenced here) seem to take their own sweet time getting around to buying the gun. LIkewise, I was in no hurry.

As to the result being "interesting" (in the Townsend Whelen sense) and "reliable":

1682343008093.jpeg

First group out of the gun (after sighting in). That's a 1/2" square. Hunting ammo (CCI MMHP). As @Andy54Hawken is aware, these guns have a reputation for accuracy, and modification methods toward improving such are abundant. This gun is box-stock, showing lots of potential right out of the gate.

My first rifle was a BL-22. My first scope was a Weaver V22-A (I don't remember what changed with th "A" model).

That slim, svelte lever gun was perfectly complemented by the equally svelte scope. That combo put countless squirrels and rabbits in the pot and shredded many centers out of reams and reams of paper targets, not to mention the incredible number of perforated soda cans that fell victim to this combo.

I still own this setup decade's later and it's still going strong. I never felt handicapped by the narrow tube on that scope, in fact the size and weight on the BL-22 kept the gun lightweight and easy to handle, which is a huge advantage over a rig made top heavy by a larger scope.

You made a great find.in that scope, and that Weaver seems to approve of the.rifle you married her to! I hope you get as much enjoyment from your combo as I have from mine!

I have a grooved 69a Winchester I've been debating putting a scope on....I think you just convinced me of which direction to go....now to find an early rimfire scope...😂

This little Westernfield 3-7X20 scope on a 22 magnum is deadly accurate and has been used and abused for over fifty years. The rifle belies the abuse its endured do to my refinishing it 25 years ago.
I have made many searches over the last decade to find another.

I too believe scope makers have missed the mark by not providing similar sized modern optics for 22's or even larger bore machines.
I know I would buy at least two.
IMGP0091.JPG

Never thought about the old scopes until about a week ago. Bought an ammo lot with a bunch of Misc. including 2 new scopes and a few old skinny scopes. took me back a few years. First 22 Remington 511 Christmas 1962. I got a weaver. Probably still has it - that is wherever my sister left it- another story.. It bagged many a rabbit, grouse and ground squirrel. Higgins, Tasco the well used large tube on right is post with no name. Not pictured is a new bushnell dusk/dawn in box. If those old scopes only could tell there story.......

scope.jpg scope1.jpg scope2.jpg

Never thought about the old scopes until about a week ago. Bought an ammo lot with a bunch of Misc. including 2 new scopes and a few old skinny scopes. took me back a few years. First 22 Remington 511 Christmas 1962. I got a weaver. Probably still has it - that is wherever my sister left it- another story.. It bagged many a rabbit, grouse and ground squirrel. Higgins, Tasco the well used large tube on right is post with no name. Not pictured is a new bushnell dusk/dawn in box. If those old scopes only could tell there story.......

View attachment 1410907 View attachment 1410909 View attachment 1410910
There ya go, @Unka-Boo!

I have a grooved 69a Winchester I've been debating putting a scope on....I think you just convinced me of which direction to go....now to find an early rimfire scope...😂

I've got an old Weaver B-4 Scope, with mount I'd take $20.00 for. Outside is a little rough, but the glass is clear.
You're welcome to come take a look at it and decide? Bring the gun too.

Great, just great. Now all the $10.00 scopes will be $20.00 now, making it impossible for me to get into .22 shooting!
Heck any more it seem like all the plastic- fantastic real cheap scopes are $20.00 on the gun show scrap tables.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top