JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guess this might be something for the James Bond type.

I've got a "safe queen" Walther PPK/S, 380 automatic that's been sitting in my gun safe for 47 years. Purchased in and forgot all about it. Gun was manufactured in 1974 as evidenced by the "74" in the chamber/breech. This gun has never been fired, includes all the paperwork that came with the gun.

Been tracking all the PPK/S for the past couple of months that are advertised on gunbroker as NIB or very slightly worn, with the original box and papers and they seem to be selling for anywhere between $ 1,100 and even as high $ 2,000. That gun that sold for $ 2,000 had 34 bids and the only difference was that it was manufactured in 1972, the downside was that it was fired. Mine has never been fired.

I've also watched the Walther Forum, Guns International and a few others but since I'm local to this area, and have sold guns previously through this forum I thought I'd ask people for their opinions because people here definitely like to chat about gun prices and debate about the validity and reality of Gunbroker and the other sites that sell firearms.

Testing the waters and your opinions about where I think I want to be in pricing my gun. Your thoughts on $ 1,500.

thumbnail-27.jpeg thumbnail-26.jpeg

It will take clear photos of the right hand side, of any import marks, and all of the box labels to provide an opinion. There is also a Walther forum full of specialized knowledge.

I don't know whether the completed listings you mentioned were interarms imports. I can say that regional forums like this tend to have fewer members who can afford to drop more than a grand on any firearm.

So yours is a true, German made Walther, or is it the Interarms, US Made licensed Walther? I cannot tell from your pictures.

I would definitely be interested if it was made in Germany!

Made in 1974 tells me it was made in Germany. Interarms made them from the 1980s to 2002, then from 2002 to the early 2010s they were made by Smith and Wesson. The new PPK/S is made by Walther in both the U.S. and Germany, with the slides manufactured in Ulm, the historical home of the PPK. The rest of the handgun made in the United States

You are correct, the exact same year guns that I previously mentioned were all either 1973 or 1974 and sold for between $ 1100 and 1600, they included all the paperwork but they had been fired. The gun that sold on GB for $ 2,000 was manufactured in 1972, had some wear on it but still managed over 30 bids and sold for $ 2,000.

I would Gunbroker it. You could also consider consigning it to one of the auction houses. Lock Stock and Barrel seems to get high prices for everything they list. If an auction house can get enough of a premium to cover your consignment fee it might be worth it.

I'm a little confused after reading about LSB. Looks like they sell everything on GB. Is that correct. So what's the difference between me selling it on GB myself versus LSB selling the gun. I can see more in the down side about listing with them because you turn the gun over to them.
Enlighten me please?

Last Edited:
I personally have zero interest in this gun, which I think is a hideous firearm for reasons TFBTV and the Washington Post outline very well. However, that's just my opinion and certainly not universal! Many people will crave this.

I'd put it on GB for $2000 or even $2500 (assuming your market research is correct), emphasizing that it's new. How many new guns like that are there in the world (that have never been fired as of 2021)? You might have the only one. Heck, you could do $3,000 with the Take a Shot option to see what offers you get.

There are two kinds of people who would be interested: people who just want a Walther PPK and Walther PPK fanatics/collectors. The former will not pay that much for yours, but the latter might. I think you need to start high and see if the never-fired-German is enough of a unicorn to make PPK fanatics drool.

Also worth seeing if there is a Walther-specific forum (I'm sure there is) and what they have in the way of classifieds. All you need to do is cross paths with the right collector with money in his pocket and Bond girls in his head.

If it hasn't sold in a month, maybe you've learned it's priced too high. Depends how much of a rush you're in.

Good luck!

how do the fee's work on GB.

As of today, 6% of the first $250, and 3.5% of anything beyond that.

Having sold a number of guns online, I'll tell you the biggest headaches are:
  • you can't take PayPal because PayPal's terms forbid firearms-related transactions. So people will need to send you a MO or a cashier's check. Some people will balk at that, but there's really no other option. Just be sure to put it in the terms when you list. I've gotten plenty of high-value MOs in the mail. I've offered to cover the cost of insuring the envelope with the MO or CC sometimes.
  • because this is a pistol, you'll have to take it to an FFL to ship for you. Expect to pay $40-60. Of course, you can add that as the cost of shipping on your auction, but remember the bidder has to pay $25-40 on his end for the FFL transfer, so now they're looking at $80-100 in fees plus the cost of a cashier's check.
  • GB collects state sales tax (it's the law, they have to). But they do it in an annoying way. Let's say the sales price is $100 and the state charges 6% sales tax and for this example, shipping is free. Buyer sends you payment for $106. Later GB bills you the final value fee. Then still later, they bill you the $6. I wish GB was more like eBay where they just take the sales tax transparently to you, but they can't do that because they can't go through PayPal, etc.

There is another NIB '74 one on there now- I'd watch it to see where it goes....

Then put it on GB yourself- no sense in paying someone else to. Just make sure you take good pics.
I can see it selling for $2k without problem- there're enough PPK collectors out there that would want one of the very few un fired ones available. PPKs and PPK/Ss seem to be the new P7's
It also depends what else is up for sale, competing for your bidder, there's also a cherry '67- fired, but a really nice example with the earlier frame.

Last Edited:
I only want to look at Gun Broker Prices.....when I want a good laugh or when/if I ever think of "selling" for some outrageous prices.

Aloha, Mark

PS....some advice about bidding on Gun Broker. Start your viewing at 14:05