JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember when I was a kid and my dad worked for ODOT (back then "the highway dept.").

This time of year he was called out a lot to work landslides/washouts on coastal roads - especially the hills and mountains.

When I was in college (Eugene) there was a student who wondered why I owned a 4WD. One reason I gave was that if a road were blocked/etc., I could maybe get around it by using an alternate route that wasn't passable with a 2WD car. He didn't believe that road washouts/etc. happened all the time.

If SHTF, it wouldn't take too long before a significant number of roads were blocked by landslides, washouts, trees/etc. falling across them. Today people just take it for granted that roads and powerlines will be fixed automatically and in a short period of time. If they aren't then they get mad.

I am always amazed how fast our PGE gets people out to fix power outages here on the mountain and I know that if the outage is widespread, it may be weeks before they get to us.

Heretic, I have been self reliable energy wise since 1974>Present, just for that reason. I have Four different Cooking abilities, Before I even think on cooking over an open Fire, same for light!!!

In fact I noticed just this morning, that my Plug In (120VAC) powered LEDS, were still lit, from unplugged last night: and realized "for the first time" just how much Power is ~stored~ in the Capacitors Alone, on a Wall Wart!!!
Ability to Read? No, but to See the outlines of objects, with no need of flashlight!!!! Yes!!!

And Four Wheel Drive??? Hehehe... Always

philip

Landslide north of Florence?? Thought that happened every winter since the built the road. One time went north of Florence and found a 200 yard section of the road had slide of and was 300 or more feet down the hill setting on the beach. Two cars still on the road, must have been one heck of the ride.:eek:

Wow, I use to live out there and I would go to Heceta Head all the time. Brings back some beautiful memories. However, it also brings back some fearful memories of those heavy winds, rains and lightening storms. I remember seeing all those nets on the steep rugged cliffs and hillsides. Yeah, landslides are not uncommon at all in that area. I remember hearing a while ago how the tunnel got covered with dirt during a landslide and I think some people got trapped in there. It always was bit spooky feeling going through the tunnel near Heceta Head on the way to Florence and seeing those giant nets hanging off the cliff.

The Oregon Coast is one of the most beautiful places on earth, but it has its share of disasters.

Updated...

Now open to single lane traffic using Pilot Car, and flag men... Typical ODOT timing.... There is a fix for this...

But it requires MONEY... The Coast only produces revenue in the Spring, Summer & Fall, so why spend $$$$ for a Winter Issue????

(Seasonal Adjustment given for Coast Weather, I have seen Snow on the Coast on the First Day of Spring, adjusted for Al Gore Global Warming...)

philip :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top