JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to guns and was wondering if someone could clear up some questions I had about gun sizes. When choosing a gun size, are there any other factors to consider other than concealability and ergonomics?

What are some benefits of a full size gun besides a longer sight radius and less recoil (which probably has more to do with weight than size). Do full size guns have more noticeable "power" than smaller guns because of a longer barrel, or just more accuracy?

Are there any advantages a compact or sub-compact gun would have over a full size gun? Or are you simply sacrificing ergonomics, accuracy, and power for concealability?

I'm by no means an expert, but in my experience the only thing that changes is the ability to conceal, and maybe a little accuracy.
But you can find compact or subs that are pretty darn accruate.
It all depends on your hand size, what fits you comfortably, and what your doing with it.
You can get a small frame gun in about any caliber. You should buy a gun for what your going to be mainly doing with it.
But either way it's always a good idea to shoot a gun before you buy it.
There are some gun ranges, Clackamas Co Sheriffs office, a place to shoot, that you can rent guns and see how you shoot them, and how they feel before you fork over them money.

For my .02 cents find the one you want save up for it if need be, and once you buy never sell. Even if you want a different one.
I've sold 4-5 guns in the last few years because I needed the money and regret each of them. I still cry at night.

concider number of rounds you can carry. Atleast that is somthing that I concidered as well as what you stated.

I have a G23 which is a compact. I didnt like the full size since Im only 5'9" its quite a bit harder to conceal and the G27(subcompact) didnt feel right in my hands and for the small amount of size I would be giving up the number of rounds I would be giving up just wasnt worth the trade off.

Yeah I had a G27 and I liked it a lot. In such a small frame the .40 is a little snappy, but you can get grip extensions making it pretty comfortable. It's too bad I was out of money with mounting bills, had to sell it. But I would rather get a 9mil to match my beretta and only have to buy one ckind of ammo.

I'm no expert but I read a lot, and have read gun magazines for thirty years. Regarding velocity and barrel length, you lose about 100-150 feet-per-second of velocity per inch of barrel shortening. A short-barrel gun generally gives three or four hundred less feet-per-second of velocity than a full-size gun. This can make a BIG difference in whether hollow-point designs expand fully. Short barrels need bullets specifically designed for them.

On the other hand, a big gun is much less likely to be carried with you, so its power is negligable if you need it away from home. So, for carry we generally compromise in size, velocity, and power...................elsullo :(

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm no expert but I read a lot, and have read gun magazines for thirty years. Regarding velocity and barrel length, you lose about 100-150 feet-per-second of velocity per inch of barrel shortening. A short-barrel gun generally gives three or four hundred less feet-per-second of velocity than a full-size gun.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks elsullo.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads