JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Free to a good home, or a not so good home. I'm not going to judge.
Monroe, Oregon
not going to diagnosis why I quite using them, I don't remember.
004.JPG 005.JPG

I've seen a few guys get sick casting bollits in a closed space with no ventilation..

Excellent point, lead poisoning can be quite detrimental and serious. It's a heavy metal and has an accumulative effect, even guys that load a lot of lead bullets have found elevated levels in their systems. Primers actually are one of the worse offenders and why indoor ranges should and usually do have good ventilation. Good ventilation and clean hands will keep you safe.

Lead - ugh. I grew up playing with lead soldiers, and all the wine my parent's bought was wrapped in lead foil. We thought the foil was the coolest, and used it in our slingshots. Us kids just drank Boone's Farm & Mad Dog (screw caps.)
  1. You absorb it through your skin, especially your cuticles.
  2. Blowing it away will help only if you are outdoors. In fact, just venting lead fumes outside is not responsible or a good idea - it creates its own host of problems. If you blow it towards your tomato patch, you'll just eat it in 60 days.
  3. Lead poisoning, in addition to making you just-plain-dumb, has been linked to infertility in men and autism in their offspring. One of the places it's stored in the body is in the testicles. I made my own PCBs and soldered electronics doing R&D at home for years and years, found out the hard way. The studies I read about it were in 2000.
  4. If you're industrious, education/kid/house poor like I was, installing a ventilator which pulls through a HEPA & carbon filter will cost <$50, most of it being the cost of the filters. I picked up the blower at Goodwill (people get rid of the blowers that inflate those kid-bounce castles) and dumpster dove for the vent hose. Dryer hose will work nicely.
  5. Vent systems made for lead soldering are ungodly expensive.
There's lots of data about it out there. Lots of info on how to protect yourself. Believe it or not, you are in more danger of lead exposure when you shoot uncoated lead bullets in a closed air space than if you cast those same bullets. The worst lead poisoning is when you are hit. :rolleyes:

Most important of all.
A pot full of molten lead at 650 degrees is an awesome thing.

148 grain 38 special wadcutters with bullseye is awesome.
240 grain elmer keith 44 mags with some trail boss makes for a fun day
I have some 169 30 cals waiting for my 30.06

Life is good when you cast.;)

I have a friend that nearly died from lead poisoning back in the 70's. Doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with him for a long time. He lost his job and career. Yes, I cast.

Yearsago when I cast bullets I wore a respirator with an organic filter. I also did lots of fans and ventilation but the 100% sure way is a mask.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.