FN 509 Experience

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by MilitantBEEMER, Jan 10, 2019 at 5:52 PM.

1. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER
    Eugene
    Refugee from the People's Republic of Illinois Gold Supporter

I have been eyeballing the 9mm FN509 and really like how it feels on my hands.
    Anybody have experience? One thing that makes me hesitant is the cost of the mags... youwza!
    Anyway and first hand knowledge is appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Weebs

Weebs
    Clackamas County

I have a 509 tactical... not sure if that applies to what you’re looking at or not.

I bought one and love it. However I’ve only run 50ish rounds through it.

Personally I don’t like hinged triggers so before I shot the stock trigger I put in an apex tactical. I’m in love with the package.

It fits my hands very well and makes me feel like I can hit whatever I aim at.

However... mine has ate a lot of money gettjng to the point it is... Gun + dpp + apex + Inforce apl = wife cant know about it. I want to get an aplc for it next time they go on sale.

I should get some more of the 24 round mags, but in all honesty I think I’ll stock up on the 17 rounders and just use the 24’s for showing off.

All in all my 509 tactical is making me want to buy a fns9c as my carry. Maybe when funds allow it I’ll grab one.

Ignore the Ruger in the picture. It’s out of place

D7BD5DED-EC43-4087-87E6-48814FAB20DA.jpeg

GOG and MilitantBEEMER like this.
  3. Fishonshawn

Fishonshawn
    Albany OR

Dont overlook the fns line. I love my fns9c. I'm not a fan of hinged triggers either but that's because S&W triggers suck. My fns's trigger doesnt bug me at all and it has the best trigger of any striker fire gun I've had. Not sure why they actually released the 509. It seems pretty similar to fns line.

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  4. mkwerx

mkwerx
    Rock Creek
    Polymer Prom Queen Silver Supporter

FN is releasing a 509 Compact, 15+1 G19 sized version now.

5. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    State of Jefferson
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Give a look see at Caniks, your local Sportsmans Warehouse might have various versions in stock so you can compare hand fit at least (vs the FN). Several palm grip backstraps normally come with them, simple pin install.

Great triggers, run and run...and run.

We have a bunch of Canik TP9 SF’s. They now have suppressor ready versions as well as DA/SA versions out.

New TP series magazines run ~$20-$30, capacity and store depending.

6. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER
    Eugene
    Refugee from the People's Republic of Illinois Gold Supporter

Will do Thank you

Camelfilter likes this.
  7. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I’ve never cared for the looks of FN pistols. But, if I close my eyes and you put one in my hand, I’d likely tell you how great it feels (HA!) until I open my eyes and realize what it is. They shoot pretty good.

8. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    State of Jefferson
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

No prob.

If you find they work for you, and want to run lights, Procraft Tacitical up Albany made some nice Kydex holsters for ours with Streamlights when we lived up Salem way. Shops out of his house.

The holsters that come with them are passable, I believe the newer ones do not have a risky retention release button (near the trigger well). Not sure on that though, as we haven’t tried the newer holsters. Just seen them.

Kinda nifty that some of there models come with a holster anyways though. Normally 2 mags/holster/blackstraps/mag loader. Good value on great guns.

9. nwslopoke

nwslopoke
    forest grove
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

l have an FNS. The trigger is not great. I've thought about the Apex kit but that would be nearly $700 into it. More than a Walther, which I also have and is better all around or VP9 which also has a much better trigger.

But to make the FN pistols on par with the competition, you have to spend more. If I were starting from scratch I might go with the CZ P10 which wasn't available when I bought.

10. Weebs

Weebs
    Clackamas County

Installing the apex trigger comes with its own headaches...

Luckily I have a lathe and vertical mill at my disposal and could make proper fixturing and tooling to drive the pins out. The picture attached doesn’t look like much but it was require to properly work on it.

I do not recommend relaxing the trigger unless you’re fairly knowledgeable or mechanical interference!

BD858089-C21E-4FDF-B92E-4D72D9F79CC4.jpeg

11. Tankjr

Tankjr
    Washington

If they are as reliable as the FNX line, you won’t be disappointed.

mkwerx and MilitantBEEMER like this.