JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A Florida couple was on a weekend camping trip that ended in an airlift to the emergency room.

52-year-old Steven Egan was hunting with his girlfriend Lisa Simmons in the northern part of the state when he mistook her for a hog and shot her.

"He saw a hog and thought he shot it and went to look for it," Maj. Steve Clair of the Flagler County Sheriff's Office told ABC News. "He heard her and thought it was a hog and just shot."

The mistake was not actually related to her appearance. Rather, Egan had earlier shot at a hog that continued to evade him. He reportedly instructed Simmons to stay at their campsite while he pursued the evasive animal, according to the Flagler County Sheriff's Office However, Simmons ventured away from the campsite, apparently searching for oranges that had fallen from nearby trees.

When Egan heard rustling in the woods, he fired in her direction without first making visual confirmation with his intended target. Instead, Simmons was struck in the legs by a .30-caliber bullet from Egan's gun. She was airlifted to the nearby Halifax Health Medical Center where she is listed as being in serious condition.

Authorities say they aren't planning to charge Egan for the accidental shooting.

"He was very sympathetic that he'd shot his girlfriend," Maj. Clair said. "It was an accident. I think it was just a violation of one of the cardinal rules of hunting which is you never shoot what you don't see."

Florida man mistakes girlfriend for hog, shoots her | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

I guess those pants did make her look fat.

Sorry, honey. You looked just like a pig.

Make that ex-girlfriend.

I knew when I opened this it was going to be a shooting gallery of comments!🤣🤣🤣

And of course, you know I was going to open it!!!😁

Actually, you want pictures, here they are, and some more details. Seems the GF was a retired nurse and knew how to deal with it. They also seem to be pretty cool about the whole thing and have other interesting stories in their past.

they took a cruise together to Mexico and went on a "nonsponsored" outing. When they returned, the ship had left. They were told by a cruise line representative they were in Mexico illegally. They had no passports. Just a bottle of tequila, a bottle of hot sauce, a ship registration card and a wet towel.

Quote:
Lots of "dumb" by both parties on that one. Glad she pulled through.

This line 👆 sums it up great. I did not read the story as to how this happened. The joking was of course funny only because the woman survived and can laugh it off. Could easily have been nothing to laugh at. When I learned to hunt was with an Uncle who STRESSED safety. Never forget the one time he took some guy he met at work. He explained how he did it chasing quail. This clown decided he did not need to follow the "rules" and ended up walking back towards my Uncle on the same side of a wash in heavy brush. Birds flush, Uncle steps up and fires just as moron steps out 20 yards or so in front of him looking up at the birds. Guy had a straw hat on and Uncle shot it off his head. Uncle after making sure the guy was not hurt announced the hunt was now over and home we went. He made it clear to the guy it was the last time he was going hunting with him.

And of course, they could have perhaps more accurately said "Hunter fails to follow basic gun safety rules and shoots girlfriend." but implying the gal is a giant ugly pig gets your article the clicks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top