JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got some Federal 00 buck with the Flitecontrol wad to feed my 590 for home defense. The groups are so tight out to 10-15 yards that I'm wondering if its too tight for HD. If I want it that tight, I'd just shoot slugs. Do you guys think there is a point where a shotgun can pattern too tight for home defense?

I like #4 buck for indoor use. Like the other guys said, you're not going to get a decent pattern with anything indoors, even with a cylinder bore.

H

You all know why a 22 is such a nasty round right? After it hits bone it kind of ricochets around inside.

Now imagine using 8 little balls. They are going to go everywhere inside a person.
Now multiply that by ,say, 8 shots?

So ,and I know this isn't popular, if you have your hunting shot gun with only 3 rounds and shoot the intruder with some #7 target rounds,how many opportunities are there to destroy flesh?

ANY round you use in a shotgun at "in house " ranges will drop a MOFO. Go watch Hickok45? on youtube.He cuts maple branches with bird shot.Maple branches.
What do you think that will do to human flesh?

Run what you brung and feel confident that the bad guy at the other end of your shot gun will be at room temperature very soon
No aiming involved....point and shoot....not real difficult.

Sure

Actually most shotgunners will "point". Go down to the shotgun range and ask the old guys.

And I guarantee you bird shot will dead most anything inside a house.
If you think otherwise you need to stop watching all the training videos sponsored by ammo companies

Low recoil #4 buck is the next load Im going to pattern. As for the birdshot recommendations, I just dont feel it offers enough penetration. Will it be effective at close range? Maybe, if the target is very close, not wearing heavy clothing etc... The shotgun is not my primary HD tool. If I have to use it I want a load that doesnt only work within a narrow range of circumstances. I could see using it in an apartment or condo if there was no chance of having to fire outdoors.

Let me be straight here,it isn't thee best choice,but it will work fine in side the house ranges.
Are you going to put 1 round down the hall or probably at least 2?
2 rounds at head and shoulder heights will definitely stop a threat.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/search/0/GlNwaMX-QBU[/video]

Let me be straight here,it isn't thee best choice,but it will work fine in side the house ranges.
Are you going to put 1 round down the hall or probably at least 2?
2 rounds at head and shoulder heights will definitely stop a threat.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/search/0/GlNwaMX-QBU[/video]

.22lr to the head will work too, doesn't make it the right tool for the job.

Well, if you're like most of the free world, you have something inside your house you would prefer NOT to be shot (family, friends, big ole TV, etc.) by 00 buck. Saying a shotgun round is too tight is like complaining a .45ACP round is too accurate. The tighter the better- hit what you're aiming at and nothing else.

Did you read the post? I said it wasn't the best choice didn't I?

you also said it will "dead almost anything in a house" and that just isn't true. there is plenty of documentation out there that proves it is highly ineffective as a home defense round that is not from ammo manufacture's. My dad was shot with birdshot while pheasant hunting from about 20 feet away. only 3 or 4 pellets actually penetrated his clothing.

So you really didn't read my posts.
I don't plan on putting one round down the hallway.
I don't plan on shooting for the body only

And I plan on using something other than birdshot,but

BUT I will tell you,if you shoot someone in your house 3 times with bird shot,he will be on the ground or out the door very quickly

Oh and ask your dad if he would like to try that again with a better shooter holding the gun,it done on purpose
Ask him if he thinks that 3 rounds to the chest would make him quit charging someone
Ask him if he wants to try one to the face.Or 3
Maybe ask him if he thinks by the 3rd round,in rapid secession, if more pellets might make it through
Like the gun store owner says to the 380 neigh sayers "wanna give it a try?"

I never said ONE round would dead anything (it most likely will though,given the perfect conditions.....kinda like any other gun...hmm) It may take a few.But it will kill any NA animal at indoor length ranges

So you really didn't read my posts.
I don't plan on putting one round down the hallway.
I don't plan on shooting for the body only

And I plan on using something other than birdshot,but

BUT I will tell you,if you shoot someone in your house 3 times with bird shot,he will be on the ground or out the door very quickly

Oh and ask your dad if he would like to try that again with a better shooter holding the gun,it done on purpose
Ask him if he thinks that 3 rounds to the chest would make him quit charging someone
Ask him if he wants to try one to the face.Or 3
Maybe ask him if he thinks by the 3rd round,in rapid secession, if more pellets might make it through
Like the gun store owner says to the 380 neigh sayers "wanna give it a try?"

I never said ONE round would dead anything (it most likely will though,given the perfect conditions.....kinda like any other gun...hmm) It may take a few.But it will kill any NA animal at indoor length ranges

who said you said anything about 1 or multiple rounds. i was just replying to EXACTLY what you posted. but it's nice you have everything "planned" out as far as a home defense situation is concerned like how many shots you'll be able to fire and where those shots will be place.

why would I ask my father if he would like to be shot again. Quite possibly the dumbest post i've seen on here, just like the .380 question. Of course nobody wants to be shot with a BB gun much less anything more powerful.

Here is some good reading material on this subject if you are interested
<broken link removed>

and specifically to shotguns
Self-defense shotgun shell selection guide & FAQ

who said you said anything about 1 or multiple rounds. i was just replying to EXACTLY what you posted. but it's nice you have everything "planned" out as far as a home defense situation is concerned like how many shots you'll be able to fire and where those shots will be place.

why would I ask my father if he would like to be shot again. Quite possibly the dumbest post i've seen on here, just like the .380 question. Of course nobody wants to be shot with a BB gun much less anything more powerful.

Here is some good reading material on this subject if you are interested
<broken link removed>

and specifically to shotguns
Self-defense shotgun shell selection guide & FAQ

Nice links. I've gleaned the same info after reviewing lots of info online but never this clearly stated and without the actual round suggestion for #1 buck.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top