Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

flash hider or brake?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by pacnw, Dec 25, 2014.

1. pacnw

pacnw Member

I know it may be a Ford/Chevy thing, but why do I want one over the other(specifically). I know the difference in what they do.

I have a suppressor, so stealth wise I could use that.

What about when I am not using the suppressor? Is it gun dependent?

At this time 5.56 and 7.62x51/308 are the calibers in use.

Thanks

P.S.- The new Brakeout 2.0 was a consideration, but I read a test of multiple devices and it fared middle of the pack. Anyone here actually have hands on experience with it?

2. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I believe there are flash suppressor setups that have a quick attach for the sound suppressor.

My preference has always been for a flash suppressor unless the firearm is something that really needs a brake, like a .50 BMG or a magnum handgun. I do have a hybrid comp on a .45 ACP, but that is setup for pin shooting.

Stomper likes this.
  3. djaziatic

djaziatic Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

For what application?

For competition shooting, definitely a brake.

For plinking, either or.

I personally like muzzle brakes as they provide easy follow up shots. And I do not mind the concussion. And I could care less about people next to me who complain about the concussion...it's a gun...guns go bang.

4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

+100% this^

5. pacnw

pacnw Member

I am trying to get a quick attach set up for the suppressor, they have either.

I figured if I was worried about the flash, use the suppressor. The flash hider is kind of redundant.

For just plinking without the suppressor, the brake. I am not worried about the flash, and as said the concussion is not affecting me.