JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a beautiful S&W Model 19-2 that I inherited from my grandfather a while back. It was his primary service sidearm while on the Seattle police department back in the 60's. It shoots very nicely, but I have found that the left hand threaded extractor rod slowly backs out during use, and I have to periodically retighten it. I plan to add a drop of Loctite Blue on the threads where I've indicated in the picture.

Any reason this might not be a good idea? Or is there a better solution?

20230912_102716.jpg

When and if this occurs, I remove the cylinder, clamp the ejector rod in hardwood blocks, then just give ita decent tightening. Normal firing rotation is in the direction of tightening and "should" keep it tight. Should. Maybe it was never fully tightened, or a diet of magnum rounds shot it loose. The relatively ancient K-frame was really hot-rodded to squeeze .357 in it. Bill Jordan loved the heck out of them, and my later 19-4 provided much comfort when checking alarms at night.

EDIT: The only other thing is to make sure that firing residue or dried factory grease is not fouling the threads before you tighten it.

Last Edited:
When and if this occurs, I remove the cylinder, clamp the ejector rod in hardwood blocks, then just give ita decent tightening. Normal firing rotation is in the direction of tightening and "should" keep it tight. Should. Maybe it was never fully tightened, or a diet of magnum rounds shot it loose. The relatively ancient K-frame was really hot-rodded to squeeze .357 in it. Bill Jordan loved the heck out of them, and my later 19-4 provided much comfort when checking alarms at night.

EDIT: The only other thing is to make sure that firing residue or dried factory grease is not fouling the threads before you tighten it.
Thanks for the info. I'll try out your clamping method.

I generally only shoot .38 SPC out of it, just to be a bit gentle with it since it's of great sentimental value. I've heard the magnum loads can be really hard on them.

Thanks for the info. I'll try out your clamping method.

I generally only shoot .38 SPC out of it, just to be a bit gentle with it since it's of great sentimental value. I've heard the magnum loads can be really hard on them.
A few things, shooting a lot of 38spc will create a lip in the cylinder that's shorter than magnum rounds. It's really the low weight magnum rounds that cause strap burns. The gun was designed around 158 gr, I wouldn't go lower.

WARNING_trouble_ahead.jpg

Maybe....the threads or threading might be damaged. So maybe a new part or a drop of purple loc tight?

OK, Ok, ok.....I'm not even a gunsmith. BUT, But, but.....

Wile_E_Coyote_Gunsmith.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS......purple is not as strong as the blue stuff. Supposed to be better for those small thread applications where you might still remove the part/screw. I've been known to use the purple stuff on my Colt 1873 SAA screws.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads