JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to purchase my first bolt action for shooting at "longer distance". As of now, I shoot out to 200 yards at Douglas Ridge but would like to start shooting at the 600, 800, and eventually 1,000 yard ranges. I'm looking into a rifle and optic capable of these distances, likely in 6.5CM. As for budget, I'm hoping to keep the optic around $800 and rifle in the same range or slightly cheaper. Had my eye on the Vortex PST gen2 5-25 and a Savage 110 Tactical. Threaded barrel is a must, I will have a silencer I can use if I choose. Talk me in or out of these options.

This will not be used as a hunting rifle, just a paper puncher.

My lived experience with vortex is they have a good warranty and you will use it. I have Leupold optics on everything I shoot from .22LR to 50bmg and have yet to experience the same failure rate as I've witnessed with vortex. Obviously, different people have different experiences and someone if not many someones will chime in opposite my stance.

Savage is a fine brand. They do a pretty decent job making groups in my experience and are worth the money. Both of my hunting rifles happen to be Savage but that's more if a coincidence than by design and my long range rifle is a Remington.

There is alot of glass out there that is decent. We have a Weaver (60 years old) it is amazing for what it is. Looking for another.

We have a bunch of Sightron and a bunch of Riton. The Sightron SIII glass is a definite cut above. Though Riton is a comer too. Two of my sons have Vortex. Friends have them as well. Most of the long time shooters I know all have some Leupold, and some of them, that is all they run.

A +1 on the Savage. I have one, it is a native 6.5 C but it also has both .308 and a 6.5 PRC barrels. A draw back is they tend to have a 'heavy' bolt lift (I improved mine). Another draw back for me is the Accutrigger. I found that after adjusting it to break where I wanted, it often disengaged during the trigger press and required a recock. Some folks love them, I changed mine for a Rifle Basics. There are other great ones too. That is another point, Savages can be worked on without a Smith. You will need some tools that you don't have to change a barrel, but that's a one time deal.

My hunting rifles are all Winchesters. I don't own a Remington. There other good ones too, Tika comes to mind first.

What I shoot the most? The Savage.
Which Savage would I buy? Their lmpulse.
Which Caliber? 308 Win.

The impulse is a Straight Pull Bolt.The only other Straight Pulls I know of are thousands of $$$. The Impulse is a real break through.. Because the bolt locks into the barrel extension, the receiver is aluminum making it lighter, and making it that way should improve accuracy over other factory rifles. The straight pull lets you get the optic lower because the bolt lift isn't an issue.

Why 308? In my opinion if you only have one rifle it should be a 308. It is a short action and shoots everything from 105gr to 208gr. It is great with a suppressor. It will kill everything in North America, though not really suitable for the Great Bears.

You can find ammo anywhere. It is easy to load for and there still plenty of military surplus available. Recoil is minimal.

308 barrels last longer. Competition life is double, usable life is triple the 6.5 C. My 6.5 C is starting to open up. It start around 1750 rounds. I have 2000 on it now and will change it out in another 500 or so. Because of the ammo situation I will put on the 308 barrel next.

Good luck, good shooting and be safe!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top