JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I use the word build loosely here. As the internals are mostly stock. But I shot it quite a bit and changed it little by little until I was happy with it. Haven't had anyone to compare it to since I only have one other friend with an AR. I'm actually not sure what model this is, but it started as a stock cold. LE model? Carry handle and all. I added a Wilson combat grip and muzzle brake, Magpul forend, stock, Vortex Spitfire prism 1x, I'm a lefty so l stalled a Norgon lefty mag release and Wilson combat oversized bolt release, Radian raptor charging handle, Streamlight tlr rm2, Surefire 60 round mag. This is all essentially research I've done myself, so far I really enjoy it and it seems to function well. I really didn't want to mess with the internals because I don't understand ARs too well yet and I didn't want to throw money at something haphazardly or sacrifice reliability. Anyways! Here it is.

41C70693-4F37-4D17-A932-0C0206E25AAC.jpeg DFD9486E-C976-4316-9067-346C663210EF.jpeg B5B46920-3EE5-483E-9053-BBFBDD751823.jpeg 3FD048A3-CA9C-44FA-AC9C-45A4A7434697.jpeg 7A28D13B-F1DD-432C-A644-8E527923EA76.jpeg

Last Edited:
Well, this is like buying a car, putting headers, an intake and HID lights on it and claiming you built it. My opinion is this is more of a first customization than a first build.

Well, this is like buying a car, putting headers, an intake and HID lights on it and claiming you built it. My opinion is this is more of a first customization than a first build.
You're right I should've started from scratch and mined the materials from the earth first and forged the lower the old fashioned way. 😂

You're right I should've started from scratch and mined the materials from the earth first and forged the lower the old fashioned way. 😂
Not what I meant and you know it. To me, this reads as you started with a complete colt rifle then replaced the furniture you wanted to. A "build" starts with a stripped lower, stripped upper and includes the use of a torque wrench and a gauge. Don't be a smartazz. If you did, in fact build this from stripped components I'll change my definition of what you have but until then it's just a first customization.

Everyone was new to it all at some point and every "expert", over time, only comes to realize just how little he knew when he "thought" he was proficient enough to call himself a "pro".

Let's not harsh on first efforts. If a person is happy with it and it's a good shooter... call it "Shirley" or whatever else you like. Enjoy!

Do you like it...?
Does it work and shoot well for you and what you shoot at...?

If yes...then good job indeed.
If not...well then ....swap some things out for what will work for you.

It's your Carbine...learn it and learn to shoot it well....
And don't overly worry 'bout what others think.
Andy

I use the word build loosely here. As the internals are mostly stock. But I shot it quite a bit and changed it little by little until I was happy with it. Haven't had anyone to compare it to since I only have one other friend with an AR. I'm actually not sure what model this is, but it started as a stock cold. LE model? Carry handle and all. I added a Wilson combat grip and muzzle brake, Magpul forend, stock, Vortex Spitfire prism 1x, I'm a lefty so l stalled a Norgon lefty mag release and Wilson combat oversized bolt release, Radian raptor charging handle, Streamlight tlr rm2, Surefire 60 round mag. This is all essentially research I've done myself, so far I really enjoy it and it seems to function well. I really didn't want to mess with the internals because I don't understand ARs too well yet and I didn't want to throw money at something haphazardly or sacrifice reliability. Anyways! Here it is.

View attachment 1388014 View attachment 1388015 View attachment 1388016 View attachment 1388017 View attachment 1388018
Congrats on your build/customization. The more you shoot it, the more you'll learn what you like and what you think might be another thing to change or customize. You'll be surprised how easy it is to put together a stripped lower and start the process again.

You'll get more enjoyment as you develop a training regime and start running drills instead of just blasting away. Don't know where you're located or if Albany Rifle and Pistol Club is near by, but they have AR classes as well as range days where you run drills and compete with others with both AR and pistol.

Welcome to another enjoyable part of the addiction hobby.

As stated great job…. If you like it then the rifle is perfect already.

If you have a desire to upgrade but are a little unsure of the "internals"….

Drop in trigger would reduce the complexity.

The rifle is a rabbit hole already….. shoot it more and you'll meet folks that will walk you through it if it's kinda intimidating for now.

I'm actually not sure what model this is, but it started as a stock cold. LE model?
That is a ban era Colt 6920, solid weapon

I added a Wilson combat grip
That is a BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 grip that had been modified by Wilson with their "Starburst" pattern. The Mod 3 is my standard go to grip but I modify by Dremeling off the duck bill. I found it put to much pressure on the inside of the middle finger so I removed it. Apparently a lot of people do.

I'm a lefty so l stalled a Norgon lefty mag release and Wilson combat oversized bolt release, Radian raptor charging handle,
I'm also left handed, I found the Norgon to be more difficult to release than I wanted and much prefer Forward Controls mag and bolt releases, I have replace most of my Norgons with FCD except I did leave a Norgon on my Colt M4A1 SOPMOD Block 2'ish build because it does have an NSN. The Raptor is my go to CH.

I really didn't want to mess with the internals because I don't understand ARs too well yet and I didn't want to throw money at something haphazardly or sacrifice reliability.
There is no need to assuming the trigger is decent.

It is a nice setup.

That is a ban era Colt 6920, solid weapon

That is a BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 grip that had been modified by Wilson with their "Starburst" pattern. The Mod 3 is my standard go to grip but I modify by Dremeling off the duck bill. I found it put to much pressure on the inside of the middle finger so I removed it. Apparently a lot of people do.

I'm also left handed, I found the Norgon to be more difficult to release than I wanted and much prefer Forward Controls mag and bolt releases, I have replace most of my Norgons with FCD except I did leave a Norgon on my Colt M4A1 SOPMOD Block 2'ish build because it does have an NSN. The Raptor is my go to CH.

There is no need to assuming the trigger is decent.

It is a nice setup.
Thanks for the info, I do notice the norgon is difficult to release sometimes, especially with a mag that still has rounds in it. I'll have to try the one you mentioned.

View attachment 1388014 View attachment 1388015 View attachment 1388016 View attachment 1388017 View attachment 1388018
is this still for sale

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top