JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had the afternoon off so I spent some time putting together my AR-15. Guess I timed buying the parts (October) right...sheesh...

The gear:
  • lower I got from JC Weaponry - great guy
  • MOE upper (1:7 16" chrome)
  • MOE M4-style stock
  • CMMG 2-stage LPK
  • MOE sights
  • Awaiting arrival of Burris rings and a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope

I mostly used these guides:
  • ITS Tactical YouTube: DIY AR-15 Build - YouTube Really liked this series, though some of the instructions were specific to the parts they chose. Still, very helpful to see the work as it was done.
  • CMMG LPK video: CMMG Lower Parts Kit HD - YouTube Man someone spent a lot of time doing the video rendering for this. Beautiful vid.
  • BuildYourOwnAR15.com - not that great a guide, really but for $10 it wasn't bad.

Really, it's not hard to build your own AR-15. A little harder than I thought, though. Major tripping points:
  • Hammering the roll pins in. This wasn't hard just kind of a pain.
  • I didn't have any problems with the spring-loaded detents but only because I read numerous times that they are easy to launch/lose.
  • Screwing in the stock with the takedown detent, buffer spring, etc. was ridiculous...took a while to get that all done.
  • The CMMG 2-part trigger is different than every other guide. Took me a while to realize that the disconnector and spring in the box weren't needed and that the trigger was already assembled. CMMG customer service was very helpful.

Still have to put on front/back sights, and install the optics. I also don't have a castle nut tool so I ordered one to tighten up the stock.

Two things disappoint me:
  1. The hammer and trigger pins fall out at the drop of a hat. Seriously! I ordered some of the KNS no-walk but these are ridiculous. Don't know if something is mismade or misinstalled.
  2. The two-stage CMMG trigger is...well, let's just say I have a different idea of two-stage. There are two stages, but it's a light first stage and a very heavy second stage, which really defeats the purpose. I am going to reexamine all of that setup in case perhaps something is not correct but it's not adjustable and it does dry-fire correctly so I don't think I put it together wrong.

Now I want to build another one :)

Yeah, that first video series is the one I linked to in my original post :)

The CMMG 2-stage trigger is a bit different than the trigger shown in most AR videos, particularly where the pins go through I'm going to play with it a bit tomorrow. I'm aware that the springs are supposed to go in the grooves but the DIY recipe doesn't fit because the trigger is different.

Yeah, that first video series is the one I linked to in my original post :)

The CMMG 2-stage trigger is a bit different than the trigger shown in most AR videos, particularly where the pins go through I'm going to play with it a bit tomorrow. I'm aware that the springs are supposed to go in the grooves but the DIY recipe doesn't fit because the trigger is different.

The trigger installs the same as any other and shouldn't be impacting these parts. SOMETHING is installed wrong. As for the trigger- I would reccomend switching to Geislee triggers next time and not looking back!

The trigger installs the same as any other and shouldn't be impacting these parts. SOMETHING is installed wrong. As for the trigger- I would recommend switching to Geislee triggers next time and not looking back!

See I didn't know enough to say this but thunk it.
I suspected the parts had to install the same but were made to better specs and were polished.

Look at the placement of trigger group springs as mentioned above. The springs properly installed will hold the pins. they exert enough force.. If you are experencing fallout find a blownup diagram and reset spring placement.. the are works even with lots of errors, remember they had to work in the field when stripped for cleaning, even when put back together wrong.. just my .02c

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top