JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello!

I've had my AR for a few years now, and went to the range a few times with it, but I finally took it out for an Appleseed clinic and learned how to really aim. Also learned pretty quickly why everyone spends so much time changing grips and stocks and covering keymod holes and all kinds of other stuff I didn't really see the point of. (Boy are my hands sore.) Now I've got a small list of things I need to change before I go out to shoot paper again!

The NWFA forum was recommended to me, so here I am. :) I'm enjoying it already!

Welcome to the forum, good to have you here. I've heard good things about the Appleseed events. I may just try one myself one of these days. For now, I'm going to be trying my had at the Service Rifle (CMP) event at Douglas Ridge in about a month.

Welcome! Covering up some of the unused holes and changing out some panels will help.

If your trigger guard is extended, consider getting some good fitting gloves. They help a LOT!

Yeah, I was pondering gloves. Seems like gloves on the support hand would also solve the slow abrasions from the keymod holes too, without adding weight to the rifle, but ... dunno. I guess I'll have to try both! :)

Welcome to the forum, good to have you here. I've heard good things about the Appleseed events. I may just try one myself one of these days. For now, I'm going to be trying my had at the Service Rifle (CMP) event at Douglas Ridge in about a month.

Cool! Yeah, I figure I need to do another Appleseed at a center-fire range first (the one I went to was rimfire only) to see if I can still aim worth a damn when there's actual recoil. And then if that doesn't embarrass me, I'd try a Known Distance event.

Sounds like the Service Rifle event is M1 only?

Cool! Yeah, I figure I need to do another Appleseed at a center-fire range first (the one I went to was rimfire only) to see if I can still aim worth a damn when there's actual recoil. And then if that doesn't embarrass me, I'd try a Known Distance event.

Sounds like the Service Rifle event is M1 only?

M1 Garand is what it's kind of based around, but they allow AR's as well. It believe they allow a few others too. It's my first time, so I'm going to be using a club-owned Garand for my first time out. I've never fired one and can't wait to spend some time with it. It will also be my first time firing prone. Should be interesting.

I honestly cant say for sure about Doug Ridge, but service rifle is supposed to be open to all legit un modified service rifles. On the east coast and the south when I competed there were all kinds of service rifles from around the world. The Rifles to beat back then were the 03 springfields and the CG60/80 series as well as the Garand and the M-1A. Started to see a lot of AR's competing and I personally used a FN/FAL for much of my shooting. My first rifle for this was an original unmodified M98 Mauser 7X57 that I did very well with, and I good friend used a Lee Enfield to good effect. I would check around and maybe ask a few people here about the "rules" at the clubs. Service Rifle comps can be addictive once you get your own rifle and start shooting!!! Go, and remember to HAVE FUN!

Welcome to the site! A buddy shoots Service Rifle with a Swiss K-31. :) He does excellently well too!

BTW, Look into ErgoGrip's! Really comfortable and they seem to fit big or small hands!

Last Edited:
M1 Garand is what it's kind of based around, but they allow AR's as well. It believe they allow a few others too. It's my first time, so I'm going to be using a club-owned Garand for my first time out. I've never fired one and can't wait to spend some time with it. It will also be my first time firing prone. Should be interesting.

Cool! You'll have to report back on what you think of it. I'd never shot prone before my Appleseed, and I love it! Nothing like bracing my entire body to get a stable shot. :)

I honestly cant say for sure about Doug Ridge, but service rifle is supposed to be open to all legit un modified service rifles. On the east coast and the south when I competed there were all kinds of service rifles from around the world. The Rifles to beat back then were the 03 springfields and the CG60/80 series as well as the Garand and the M-1A. Started to see a lot of AR's competing and I personally used a FN/FAL for much of my shooting. My first rifle for this was an original unmodified M98 Mauser 7X57 that I did very well with, and I good friend used a Lee Enfield to good effect. I would check around and maybe ask a few people here about the "rules" at the clubs. Service Rifle comps can be addictive once you get your own rifle and start shooting!!! Go, and remember to HAVE FUN!

Welcome to the site! A buddy shoots Service Rifle with a Swiss K-31. :) He does excellently well too!

So many bolt-action rifles! :) I was really straining to empty my magazines on the sub-minute rounds on the Appleseed AQT. I couldn't imagine getting through that without semi-auto, but my neighbor on the line was using a bolt-action too, and he was rockin'.

BTW, Look into ErgoGrip's! Really comfortable and they seem to fit big or small hands!

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to try a bunch of different grips at a show or something. I kind of like grips with the finger grooves, but the one I have now is just too hard.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top