Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Finally getting some experience!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Freeside, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Freeside

Freeside Oregon New Member

Hello!

I've had my AR for a few years now, and went to the range a few times with it, but I finally took it out for an Appleseed clinic and learned how to really aim. Also learned pretty quickly why everyone spends so much time changing grips and stocks and covering keymod holes and all kinds of other stuff I didn't really see the point of. (Boy are my hands sore.) Now I've got a small list of things I need to change before I go out to shoot paper again!

The NWFA forum was recommended to me, so here I am. :) I'm enjoying it already!

Sgt Nambu, Larrytpdx, Ura-Ki and 7 others like this.
  2. SA Shooter

SA Shooter Hillsboro, OR Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Welcome! Covering up some of the unused holes and changing out some panels will help.

If your trigger guard is extended, consider getting some good fitting gloves. They help a LOT!

3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome to the forum, good to have you here. I've heard good things about the Appleseed events. I may just try one myself one of these days. For now, I'm going to be trying my had at the Service Rifle (CMP) event at Douglas Ridge in about a month.

Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome!
    Nothing like an Appleseed event to sharpen up your skills. I love 'em!

Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Welcome Aboard:s0101:

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  6. GOG

GOG State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  7. Freeside

Yeah, I was pondering gloves. Seems like gloves on the support hand would also solve the slow abrasions from the keymod holes too, without adding weight to the rifle, but ... dunno. I guess I'll have to try both! :)

8. Freeside

Cool! Yeah, I figure I need to do another Appleseed at a center-fire range first (the one I went to was rimfire only) to see if I can still aim worth a damn when there's actual recoil. And then if that doesn't embarrass me, I'd try a Known Distance event.

Sounds like the Service Rifle event is M1 only?

9. Espire

Espire Milwaukie, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome to the boards

10. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

M1 Garand is what it's kind of based around, but they allow AR's as well. It believe they allow a few others too. It's my first time, so I'm going to be using a club-owned Garand for my first time out. I've never fired one and can't wait to spend some time with it. It will also be my first time firing prone. Should be interesting.

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

I honestly cant say for sure about Doug Ridge, but service rifle is supposed to be open to all legit un modified service rifles. On the east coast and the south when I competed there were all kinds of service rifles from around the world. The Rifles to beat back then were the 03 springfields and the CG60/80 series as well as the Garand and the M-1A. Started to see a lot of AR's competing and I personally used a FN/FAL for much of my shooting. My first rifle for this was an original unmodified M98 Mauser 7X57 that I did very well with, and I good friend used a Lee Enfield to good effect. I would check around and maybe ask a few people here about the "rules" at the clubs. Service Rifle comps can be addictive once you get your own rifle and start shooting!!! Go, and remember to HAVE FUN!

Freeside, Sgt Nambu and etrain16 like this.
  12. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good advice! Welcome.

Freeside likes this.
  13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome to the site! A buddy shoots Service Rifle with a Swiss K-31. :) He does excellently well too!

BTW, Look into ErgoGrip's! Really comfortable and they seem to fit big or small hands!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Ura-Ki and etrain16 like this.
  14. Timbertodd

Timbertodd Aloha Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Welcome!

15. Freeside

Cool! You'll have to report back on what you think of it. I'd never shot prone before my Appleseed, and I love it! Nothing like bracing my entire body to get a stable shot. :)

Sgt Nambu and etrain16 like this.
  16. Freeside

So many bolt-action rifles! :) I was really straining to empty my magazines on the sub-minute rounds on the Appleseed AQT. I couldn't imagine getting through that without semi-auto, but my neighbor on the line was using a bolt-action too, and he was rockin'.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to try a bunch of different grips at a show or something. I kind of like grips with the finger grooves, but the one I have now is just too hard.

17. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Different times, I believe, between Appleseed and Service Rifle!
    Kimber Custom would know. Again welcome!

18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

And don't forget, with a bolt action service rifle of .308 win or less, that can open you up for F class events! This is my new fav discipline with my Ol' CG 80 hotrod!

19. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Good first post, I think you'll fit right in here.

Freeside likes this.