JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For those who don't know, are interested, or generally confused; hopefully this may help you.

FFP = First Focal Plane
SFP = Second Focal Plane

The scopes that most everyone here knows, are SFP scopes. This means that regardless of what magnification you are on, relative to the target, the reticle always stays the same size.
A FFP scope has the reticle grow or shrink in size, relative to the target, as you zoom.

What's the difference?
SFP scope reticles match their adjustments at only one magnification; usually max. Any other magnification, and your adjustment is different. Most scopes aren't exact anyway, so if your scope says it's a 3-9x, is it actually? Or is it really a 2.5-8.5x? If you don't know, you can't do some math and know the difference. So if you are shooting at something, and you miss by 2 hash marks in the reticle, how far did you really miss by? Unless at the calibrated zoom level, you don't know.

If you use a FFP scope the reticle grows and shrinks with zoom, BUT relative to the target, it never changes size. So at ANY magnification, if you see that you missed your shot by 2 hash marks, simply adjust that amount.

Here are some visual examples. Trying to hold a rifle, and a cell phone isn't easy, but you'll get the point:rolleyes:

First Focal Plane, 4x and something like 10x
Screenshot_2017-08-19-15-08-22_zpsir8ydu5g.png
Screenshot_2017-08-19-15-08-57_zpsyq8rnxib.png

As you can see at either magnification, the horizontal bars are slightly over 1 mil in height.

Now let's look at the SFP scope, this scope says 2.5x & 10x

Screenshot_2017-08-19-15-07-36_zps0qbqg7dj.png
Screenshot_2017-08-19-15-07-52_zpsn5l0e7jo.png

Here we see less than 1 mil in height, and then about 1.5 mils once zoomed.

If you don't shoot distance, or don't need accurate adjustments/measurement, then do whatever makes you happiest. If it does matter to you, SFP makes little sense.
Regardless of what you choose, make sure your reticle and adjustments match. Having a mil reticle with moa adjustments is something much worse than ridiculous:D

Hopefully this helps someone.

Cheers

Last Edited:
i have had SFP my entire life until recently i bought a FFP. i should switched out all my scopes with FFP a LONNG time ago. i dont think i'll ever buy another SFP scope.

I have one FFP and I'd like to add more.

Only my 6.5CM has the FFP, I'd like to maybe drop one on my PSA AR-10 since it's such a slick shooter.

Last Edited:
FFP is far superior IMO, because you can use it to range targets at any magnification. They're also far more expensive than SFP.

I'll be listing my Primary Arms 4-14x44 mil/mil FFP with SWFA low rings this weekend if anyone is interested.

I love it that everyone loves the FFP scopes. Maybe the guy selling the SFP Nightforce ive been eyeballing, will realize its an extremely outdated and unpopular inferior model and sell it to me for a much more appropriate price. Im thinking sub $1,000.00 would make up (just barely) for the difference in equality. I'd try to make it work for shooting 100 yards, maybe a bit further. But not a whole lot further. Heaven forbid, anyone ever try to make a long shot with a SFP scope. :oops:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top