JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a new spot to hunt turkeys. I hunted a spot in the spring that wasn't bad but it's since been clear cut. I'm close to Salem but willing to drive a bit. If you've got a turkey problem let me know, I'll come kill two for you! 😊

Hmmm... Pellet rifle? Slingshot? Big mousetraps?
Ok full disclosure, I raise them for meat 🤣😂🤣🤣

But it just seemed like the perfect set up to throw that in there.

I just started raising them this year, started with 6 and im down to two (ive butchered the other 4)

I have never shot one when they are heading for the crock pot, I saw a video on YouTube about a quick humane way to kill them and have used the technique ever since.

I need to try to set up a better shelter if I'm going to try to keep them over the winter.

But I may just kill the last 2 and start over in March or April.

I'm still pretty new to raising meat, but its been pretty cool knowing exactly where your food comes from. And what went onto it.

I need to get my garden back up to snuff as well, I spent a lot of time reinforcing the backyard fence (they are 100% free range) but really skipped on fencing the garden and they ate it down to the dirt.

So starting over may be the best bet but 🤷‍♂️ we'll see.

If I had known that.... I probably would have tried harder. It literally was the perfect setup!

That method seems like it would work well. Kind of hard to see through the visual bleep, but I get the idea. Is it really instant? I'm envisioning when I smack trout onto a sharp rock and break their necks.

If I had space and no nearby neighbors, I would be up for raising rabbit or maaaybe chickens for meat. Chickens stink so bad though. I would want them a good 1/4 mile from my windows. How is the learning curve?

If I had known that.... I probably would have tried harder. It literally was the perfect setup!

That method seems like it would work well. Kind of hard to see through the visual bleep, but I get the idea. Is it really instant? I'm envisioning when I smack trout onto a sharp rock and break their necks.

If I had space and no nearby neighbors, I would be up for raising rabbit or maaaybe chickens for meat. Chickens stink so bad though. I would want them a good 1/4 mile from my windows. How is the learning curve?
The visual bleep was a little odd. But they have surprisingly week necks, while holding them by the feet (upside down) you just karate chop the back of their head neck area, the 1st one if you the mark kills them pretty instantly, I gave a 2nd just to be sure though (didn't want to skin them alive)

As for the learning curve its not to bad, if you don't like the stench of chickens id recommend going cageless with the rabbits, I started the 1st 2 weeks with them in a cage and the smell was horrible, but since I've let them roam the yard its really unnoticeable.

When they 1st became free range they escaped about 3 times, so you need to make adjustments to how their fenced in, I used concrete blocks, an old metal frame to a portable green house ( i broke it down and staple gunned it to the existing fence) the other bad thing is how scorched earth they'll make your yard, mine wasn't the prettiest, but I had grass and a garden now its just dirt, with alot of potholes.

The good thing about when they escaped is they didn't go far (the neighbors yard) and they were surprisingly easy to catch ( laundry basket, and a push broom to heard them where I wanted)

They are tasty though and very lean, they're also not at all picky about what they'll eat and the dogs live fresh meat.

The 1st 2 killed i skinned them and threw them to the dogs whole, the next 2 1 went to the freezer (where he still is) and the other went the crock pot (similar recipe to that youtube video, with some mods for ingredients i dint have)

I'm still learning though, but it seems like a pretty solid back up plan for if SHTF, I can bunk down until the crazies have thinned themselves out, and eat rabbit and lots of rice. And hopefully by the time I run out there would be less competition for resources.

The 2 things I really need to improve is like I said better fencing around the garden, so they only eat what I give them, and some sort of divide in the yard so I can let them graze one side until its getting bare, then switch them to the B side long enough to let the A side recover.

I'm looking for a new spot to hunt turkeys. I hunted a spot in the spring that wasn't bad but it's since been clear cut. I'm close to Salem but willing to drive a bit. If you've got a turkey problem let me know, I'll come kill two for you! 😊
Hey sorry for hi jacking your thread with all the rabbit talk.

Can't say for sure near Salem, but a few years back down by Mapleton there is a road right before you cross the bridge on 126 ( the one going over the siuslaw) Google maps has listef as sweet creek/ state road 5035/5036. But I did some work on a property back there in like 2012ish and there was a ton of Turkeys all over the road and the hillside.

I know there was a wildfire last year in that area so it may be dead now, also when I was last there there was quite a bit of public land, but I can't say for certain that it hasn't been bought or sold since then, so its really a shot in the dark at this point.

Another spot I Remer ( even father back in time) was on the other side of the Umpqua River at Sawyers rapids ( not the side that's on hwy38, across from that) but that was way back in 1999 so who knows what's changed since.

Just looked it up its called. Lutsinger creek road, and to get there you either need to cross over the Umpqua in Elkton, and get onto Mehlman creek road, or take a boat across a Sawyers rapids.

I know that's all pretty vague and possibly outdated but if you end up heading that way for something else anyways .ight be worth looking into

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top