JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've found a few factory (wood) rifle stocks in my brother's estate and am attempting to understand exactly what they are. Going from memory on the rifles he had where the original stocks were changed to composite stocks, I know one of the bolt-action stocks is for a Remington Seven. The other 2 bolt-action stocks I'm not sure of. They could be Remington 700 or possibly Ruger.

Do any of the manufacturers stamp or otherwise mark their stocks and if so where and how?

Thanks much

I only have one picture currently of one stock. This one I believe is for a Remington Seven

Remington Stock - Copy.jpg

Some additional pictures should be straight down over the center of the stock where the action fits.

The one above appears to have too long action inletting to be a 7. Looks more like a 700 long action to me.

Bruce

bottom one of the two is a Remington 700 BDL, 60's-early 70's Long Action. Appears a glass bed/pillar job was in progress (along with the refinish start).

I hope @Velzey will pick up my slack on i-d'ing the top one (the lefty).

bottom one of the two is a Remington 700 BDL, 60's-early 70's Long Action. Appears a glass bed/pillar job was in progress (along with the refinish start).

I hope @Velzey will pick up my slack on i-d'ing the top one (the lefty).
I'm 100% with you on the first stock being a Remington Classic. I've got a .25-06 Classic with a stock that looks just like that. The bottom stock however, doesn't match my early 70's 700 BDLs. The checkering pattern doesn't have those pointy three-headed things. (You probably know what those are called. I'm struggling to remember. Seems like it ends with "flours" or something like that. My memory just ain't what it used to be.) The black cap does look like like the 700 BDL though. Maybe if I had an earlier version?

Just checked my "Fleur de Leis" impressed checkering and you are right: the "curly cues" are all inside the border. This example missing white line spacers too.
Back to the drawing board.

Just checked my "Fleur de Leis" impressed checkering and you are right: the "curly cues" are all inside the border. This example missing white line spacers too.
Back to the drawing board.
Well, not so fast. I Googled around and found some examples of Remingtons with that checkering pattern on the stock. You may be right. I noticed the lack of white spacers as well, but thought maybe it was just discolored a bit, or not clear in the photo.

Thanks for the "Fleur de Leis". I vaguely recalled something like that. Now I can quit puzzling over it!

Thanks Fellas (I knew you would be here to help out Bruce. I hope all is well).

So;

- Stock #1 = Remington 700 Classic
- Stock #2 = Remington BDL (still up in the air?) Correct on the refinish and glass bedding Bruce.
- Stock #3 = still waiting for Velzey to weigh-in

Well, not so fast. I Googled around and found some examples of Remingtons with that checkering pattern on the stock. You may be right. I noticed the lack of white spacers as well, but thought maybe it was just discolored a bit, or not clear in the photo.

Thanks for the "Fleur de Leis". I vaguely recalled something like that. Now I can quit puzzling over it!
So, I am allowed now to avail myself of "Last time I thought I made a mistake, I was wrong." ???

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top