JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A DPMS Gen1 LR-308 16" has crossed my path. I know only what I've read of them.
Those that have them, share your first hand pros and cons.

Leave "building" out of the equation, unless it concerns upgrading the above mentioned.

I see the Oracle LR-308 as lower in the food chain. Am I wrong to feel this way?

I'll search here in the forums more later

Last Edited:
I can talk about the AP4 which is basically the same rifle but with an M4 barrel

They are a very good rifle and if its a good deal its worth getting as you can build onto it many higher end companies making parts for them .

Just like building an ar15 you can go cheap on the unimportant parts and go expensive for the parts that matter

however you may find yourself quite pleased with it as is.

the only issues I know about these rifles and its hit and miss is that there was a bad run on extractors and the .308 if very hard on extractors so its probably a good idea to keep a spare. How ever my nephew has the AP4 which is basically the same rifle and has over 800 rds on his with no issues other than with the supplied magazine which he sent back and they replaced.

I have one with a little over 460 rds. I put over 260 of that on it in one day most of it was surplus ammo that is known to gum up HK91/Cetme style rifles I have no issue and ran without a single malfunction and with no added oil or cleaning on that outing. the only issue I have ever had with it is with shooting the first round with the ejection port cover closed . i think it does not eject fast enough so the bolt catches the spent case before clearing the rifle while feeding another . This never ever happens with the port cover open. And I talked to a rep at DPMS and they would correct this but required the rifle sent back and I think I can live with it so why bother.

My nephew was getting outstanding groups with his as good as most bolt rifles , Mine will group just as well but warms up faster as I had the barrel turned to reduce its weight.

Last Edited:
I almost bought one of these on sale last year for around $799. I kinda wished I would have. I would still probably trade out the stock, handguard, and even the barrel, but it's a great platform.

@eldbillbo
Given the info you shared, I considered at least looking (was hopeful to shoot it first) at a gen1.
The seller, well, he sort of slipped off the radar in a different direction. I think he traded it off.

DPMS makes a decent range/hunting gun, not sure I'd use it outside of that. Building your own (requires more research due to lack of standardization) would be better, unless you're paying the big bucks.

Midlength would be better, but it depends on which .308 AR we're talking about. Armalite's carbine gas system is a little bit longer than midlength.

Edit: It depends on barrel too. 16" midlength. 18" and longer rifle.

Years ago I made a killer deal on a 16" DPMS LR-308 gen 1 parts kit. Everything but the lower. Including the plastic factory hard case. I put it away for a couple of years and finally found a new matching set of Mega Maten receivers and put the rifle together. I love the rifle. It's kinda a safe queen. I don't shoot it much cause she is so purdy............
Like Eldbilbo said, I have not had any issue's with mine. I was not aware of the dust cover deal as I have never fired it with it closed. So that is some good info. I really don't know what kind of group I get because I have just fired it a steel plates with open sights. I do have a scope for it but not the rings. I tried an Eotech on it and that worked pretty good for plates. I have only had about 250 rounds through it, so she hasn't even been broken in yet.

Last Edited: