JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In Oregon, (and elsewhere?) can one sharpen the top edge of a Kar-Bar USMC utility knife? Not the whole top edge; just the front where it tapers down into that weak tip area. The steel used sharpens very easily and quickly to a shaving edge but dulls rather quickly. What about the top edge?

As far as edge retention goes, it's 1095 cro-van. It's a high carbon steel so it sacrifices hardness for toughness. It's edge retention won't be the best, but it'll be easy to sharpen and maintain without serious equipment.

I did just the tip, concaved, on my now fifty year old homemader. The inch and a half top edge is just the right length along with two fingers to open up game and unzip the legs. It takes the brunt of knife dulling hair cutting requiring less touchup sharpening on the main blade when doing the bulk of dressing and hide removal. At least it seems so to me.
IMGP0286.JPG

In Oregon, (and elsewhere?) can one sharpen the top edge of a Kar-Bar USMC utility knife? Not the whole top edge; just the front where it tapers down into that weak tip area. The steel used sharpens very easily and quickly to a shaving edge but dulls rather quickly. What about the top edge?
Virtually everyone that I knew in the Marines had sharpened that drop point area so that it was as sharp as the blade. I still have a Ka Bar that I carry while out in the desert. They are a great tool for digging out rock specimens.

It is not a dagger blade so you should be good to go. Dagger blades are prohibited for 'concealed' carry. If it is not concealed, you can carry almost anything.

1) In the DPRK anything with a point that would draw blood with a hard thrust is a dagger under Calif. Penal Code Sect. 12020.

2) I have sharpened the swage on my knife of that model. It's not likely I will ever carry it concealed. It lives in the vehicle emergency kit in the trunk of the car. Glock M81 lives in the pickup emergency kit.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top