JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Gunny has very strong opinions about these two rifles. Do you share his viewpoint?

Do you agree that one rifle is "YUCK", while the other "you can count on"??

What do you think of the methodology that the Gunny used to prove his point??

I sure do enjoy watching his TV show GunnyTime, on the Outdoor Channel. It is very entertaining television.

Ok I'll chime in for fun. Given the tongue and cheek of the test.
Both are equal in many ways in my opinion.

First test seems that both the AK and even its brother the SKS are about as easy as it comes to field strip. How often does one need to field strip would depend.

Second depending on distance the 7.62x39 packs one heck of a punch in lower yardage but loses accuracy and velocity where the 223 tends to have accuracy and stability at longer distances.

The third, why the M16 is 100% more stable then a AK, the need for full auto is pretty much nill as is seen accuracy goes out the window. In burst without F/A they both I would guess be very close.

My point if there is one is these are both awesome guns and good rounds. I wont get into SHTF and finding ammo and a million other situations that could give good and bad on both.

It comes down to what a person is comfortable with really as both of these are very lethal at about 80% of the average engagement distances with a quality educated handler.

The other thing is the are within a pound weight wise give maker, mag and options.

i watched that episode when it originally aired. great series.

They each have strengths and weaknesses. SO...to each his/her own.
Pick up what you feel more comfortable with.

Yes, it is a sort of a tongue in cheek video. I tried to make my post a little tongue in cheek too.

We don't always have to be 100% serious, do we? :D

However, I do feel for AK-47 owners, since the Gunny referred to them as being either "numskulls" or "bad guys". :eek:

I met him about 3-4 years ago at an event a retailer was putting on. Nice guy.

Having shot and played around with both types of rifles, in their original military stock and set up , while in the army, I'd go with the M-16 series of rifles. Mostly because of stock fit and how well the rifle carried. I like the sights on the M-16 as well . Both rounds worked , dead is dead , to put it bluntly.

Be that as it may , there is an huge amount of after market options that you can do to either rifle , to change almost anything , so that my complaints against the sights , stock and over all feel of the Ak series is null and void.
Andy

What are we talking about here? This is 'Murica! Own BOTH. Problem solved.

I have grown to become a fan of the AK rifles. Years ago, I had little interest in AR's or AK's, that is, until my government started telling me I couldn't own them. Bad move by them, because, as with many folks, if you tell me I can't do something I was already allowed to do, I'm likely to do it out of spite. So, I bought my first AR and named her "Spite" for just that reason. Then I started looking at AK's, and, well, I like them too. Perhaps the AK should be named "злость" - that's 'spite' in Russian ;)

The AK series of rifles was meant to be given to 13 year old guerilla fighters who would live in the mud and the gun would only get a good cleaning if it was left out in the rain in the monsoon season. That is why there are like 9 gazillion of them world wide.

The AR series of rifles was designed in a free first world nation and was to be issued to an 18 year old high school graduate for use against those very same 13 year old guerilla fighters.

Having shot and carried both around the world; and all things being equal (availability of ammunition, spare parts, armorer support etc.) I would choose the AR series. I can carry more bullets, parts are easier to change out (machined to higher tolerances), the bullet flies more accurately and when in the hands of that 18 year old high school graduate (properly led and trained), it becomes the most deadly weapon ever devised.

But in my gun-safe, I have one of each, just for fun...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top