JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm taking a hard look at the SDB as part of my due diligence in considering a progressive press from my Lee Classic Turret. I'm considering Lee Auto Breech or other Lee presses as well.

I only reload 9mm and am looking for something under $500. The only thing that I'm having a hang up about regarding the SDB is that there is no optional case or bullet feeder. I was hoping even just one of these two feeders was available. The thought of having to seat a brass and a bullet, then alternate pulling the lever doesn't thrill me for this price.

I may be just thinking like a lazy person or being too unreasonable or maybe I'm missing something. Do other SDB users have any comments regarding this requirement? Lee Auto Breech has both a case and bullet feeder for about half the price and I wonder why everyone is not just buying the Auto Breech lock instead of the SDB. I know the Lee bullet feeder requires a lot of tinkering but I wonder if that's worth it considering half the price. Any insight or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

My brother and i have a square deal b and a fairly normal pace with one person only can make 300 rounds per hour, much faster if there's a second guy putting in a brass and keeping primers stocked up.
I've never really felt the need to load faster than this, maybe some day though....
I also have the lock n load ap mostly for my rifle loading, (it will work fine for handgun too)and i think this is my best investment so far, and you can add bullet / case feeder i think

Matt

Last Edited:
My dad has been using his SDB for around 30 years and has made enough ammo to wear out several Sig Sauer magazines. It's the press I learned on and used it for many years until I bought myself a 550. 3-400 sustained rph is about the rate I experienced as well. The biggest reason I went with a 550 is I wanted to load rifle and 357 Maximum, which the SDB can't do. The proprietary dies could also be viewed as a negative as they're harder to find used but if you're only setting up for 9mm it is a nonissue. I've never used a case feeder or bullet feeder and have never felt the need for one personally.
A buddy had a Lee Pro 1000 that turned out a lot of good 45 ammo and was fairly reliable. The priming mechanism and the auto disc powder measure are a little hinky from what I recall. That Auto Breech Lock doesn't look like it's in the same class as either a Pro 1000 or a SDB. The biggest turnoff for me is the crude priming system.

I'm taking a hard look at the SDB as part of my due diligence in considering a progressive press from my Lee Classic Turret. I'm considering Lee Auto Breech or other Lee presses as well.

I only reload 9mm and am looking for something under $500. The only thing that I'm having a hang up about regarding the SDB is that there is no optional case or bullet feeder. I was hoping even just one of these two feeders was available. The thought of having to seat a brass and a bullet, then alternate pulling the lever doesn't thrill me for this price.

I may be just thinking like a lazy person or being too unreasonable or maybe I'm missing something. Do other SDB users have any comments regarding this requirement? Lee Auto Breech has both a case and bullet feeder for about half the price and I wonder why everyone is not just buying the Auto Breech lock instead of the SDB. I know the Lee bullet feeder requires a lot of tinkering but I wonder if that's worth it considering half the price. Any insight or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Know that a Hornady or RCBS bullet feeder/with tubes are alternatives to the Lee bullet feeder.
The down side to those feeders is they take-up a station, so with a LABLP with only 4 stations, you would need to seat and crimp in one station, something we all did before Lee convinced us otherwise:confused:.

Because you are used to the "pez dispenser" priming on the Lee turret, the dies/powder drop will all transfer to the LABLP and the ease of adding both a bullet and case feeder is why I'm recommending you buy the LABLP.
I'm not sure about a DSDB having auto indexing like the LABLP, though you can run the Lee either way, and the Lee uses standard dies (7/8x14).
I have several "progressives", red and green but no blue, and have added bullet feeders and/or case feeders to them so that my left hand only does one thing during a re-loading cycle, and my right hand never leaves the lever.
That said, the reason I have not bought an LABLP as yet, is because of the pez dispenser priming :rolleyes:.
PwdrSprg(2)S.jpg
sorry Dillon fanboys,
:D

Last Edited:
If you only load 9mm and you only shoot around 1-3000 rounds a year. The square b is for you. If you shoot more I would go to a 650 with a case feeder. The amount if time it will save you is alot!! I started on a 550, and moved to a 1050 when I started competing in idpa and uspsa. I can load about 12-1500 per hour. I shoot about 15-20k a year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top