JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a digital borescope from Amazon for $46 that connects to a laptop or smartphone to view the image. It's like giving a colonscopy to your guns. I'm fascinated with what I'm viewing. Rifle barrels that I thought were clean and shiny turn out to have considerable copper fouling and erosion. They visibly need more work with brushes, patches and solvent. Now I understand why I can't get good accuracy from my Finnish M39 Mosin-Nagant. The inside of that barrel is so rough it looks like the craters of the moon. Every shot deposits more crud inside and there's no uniformity.

Very interesting. I'd be scared to run that thing down some of the bore on guns I consider "range toys". I'm sure it'd look pretty bad. Was the setup easy on the unit?

I bought a digital borescope from Amazon for $46 that connects to a laptop or smartphone to view the image. It's like giving a colonscopy to your guns. I'm fascinated with what I'm viewing. Rifle barrels that I thought were clean and shiny turn out to have considerable copper fouling and erosion. They visibly need more work with brushes, patches and solvent. Now I understand why I can't get good accuracy from my Finnish M39 Mosin-Nagant. The inside of that barrel is so rough it looks like the craters of the moon. Every shot deposits more crud inside and there's no uniformity.
Funny, I've never once seen a potential Nagant buyer ever take the time to bore light a barrel at the gun counter or table before they waste their time or money. I wonder why that is. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Very interesting. I'd be scared to run that thing down some of the bore on guns I consider "range toys". I'm sure it'd look pretty bad. Was the setup easy on the unit?
Don't know about @Robear 's unit but mine was super easy. Most don't support Linux so I use my iPhone instead. Just a simple bluetooth connection and the app they tell you to install on the viewing device. The apps typically support Windows, Android, and iOS.

Make sure you get one small enough for your smallest bore (made that mistake with the first one) and has an angled mirror attachment so you can look directly at the side of the bore.

I figure it's real easy to see if you still have copper fouling. Wet a patch with any copper remover, swab the barrel, wait a few-20 minutes, or longer, and run a clean patch on a jag through it. If there's a LOT of blue green on the patch, you still have copper in there. If there's very little color you have less.

RE: the scope it's self. I always figured something that cheap wouldn't be worth a darn? Always thought it sounded like a fun toy though.

The first time I used a bore scope was with my Hawken Rifle.
I was shocked to see a lot of red "streaks" in the bore...Yikes I thought rust....
Turns out the bore was fine and clean....the red streaks were bits of wool from the red wool rifle sleeve I use with it.
Andy

I was shocked to see a lot of red "streaks" in the bore...Yikes I thought rust....
Turns out the bore was fine and clean....the red streaks were bits of wool from the red wool rifle sleeve I use with it.
Andy
I always get concerned when I see red streaks from my bore.

Andy
I thought maybe you'd find some remnants that Ol' Hatchet Jack left in there.

I always get concerned when I see red streaks from my bore.
Don't look Ethel ....But it was too late....:D

I thought maybe you'd find some remnants that Ol' Hatchet Jack left in there.
Never saw Ol' Hatchet Jack...but I did get to look at and handle the Hawken Rifle that once belonged to John Hatcher...an actual "Mountain Man" who worked out of Bent's Fort.
Andy

RE: the scope it's self. I always figured something that cheap wouldn't be worth a darn? Always thought it sounded like a fun toy though.
They work surprisingly well and also useful for any thing you want to see but have very little access to. Mine is also water proof and used it to help find out why they stopper in one of my bathroom sinks wasn't working before I had to get underneath. My knees are lousy since I graduated to geezerhood so I get as much info as I can before I go crawling around.

They work surprisingly well and also useful for any thing you want to see but have very little access to. Mine is also water proof and used it to help find out why they stopper in one of my bathroom sinks wasn't working before I had to get underneath. My knees are lousy since I graduated to geezerhood so I get as much info as I can before I go crawling around.
Mirrors on your loafers is kinda obvious too so..

Lol

Do you have a link?

I have been interested in getting one and it is difficult to trust the reviews sometimes on amazon.

Do you have a link?

I have been interested in getting one and it is difficult to trust the reviews sometimes on amazon.
I don't have trust issues with Amazon reviews because I know 90%+ of them aren't authentic. The world would be a better place without Amazon.

Please have a conversation with my wife re: this issue. I'd buy ya a real nice beer.
When she see's that I have to constantly unscrew my wife and MIL's accounts because they get hacked or they order from shoddy sellers maybe your significant other will take heed. I've begged them incessantly to close their accounts. It's no conspiracy theory that Amazon has destroyed a lot of well established businesses and life's. The cat's been out of the bag now for at least 7 years.

I bought one to find some stinking noisy mice in our wall, then spray foamed them in place. Works pretty good for that.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews