JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IS ANYONE ON HERE FAMILAR WITH DETONIX GUNS AND CAN YOU ENLIGHTEN ME SOME

I HAVE AND OPPERTUNITY TO BUY SOME VERY CHEAP BUT DON'T WANT TO JUMP IF OPENING CAN OF WORMS

oh sorry about that
not sure what the prices will be but if this is any indicator the estate was selling SIG SAUERS for 325.00 each glocks for 250.00 berettas for 250.00 all the colts and other 1911's were gone b4 I even heard about it but appaently there are still some available so maybe i can get a few I have heard (8)

About 35 years ago Detonics came out with the then-smallest 9mm stainless pistol and I just had to have one. While there were advantages in that era to that model ("small frame" stainless) it was so new on the market I couldn't find one.....but ordered by phone direct to FFL locally.

It was a miserable disappointment; crappy trigger, heavy, ponderous, poor accuracy beyond about 10 feet; noisy as hell and lots of recoil. OK, it was a simple design blow-back style and broke ground for the package.

It taught me never to buy a pistol without being able to handle it first, as it did NOT fit my hand.

After about 6 months I finally found someone who couldn't live without his own notion of wonderment, despite my comments & warnings.

Always thought the Detonics 45 had a decent reputation, never had opportunity to handle one. Even now, the few I ever see are high priced gun show models. I've never seen one at the range, that may be a hint.

Of course, there may well be other opinions out there, but I personally wouldn't buy another Detonics 9mm regardless of the price. YMMV.

One of my buddies an ex-Sherriff and at that time a DA in Utah, carried one in 45. The smallest micro 45 available in those days. I think they pioneered small full caliber semi autos. His seemed good and he carried it a lot but he also had a C.O.P. 4 barrel .357.

The Original Detonics chopped and channeled Pistol was called a Combat Master and was designed by a fine Gentleman by the name of Sid Woodcock. His original drawing was from 1953(IIRC). It called for a 3-1/2" Barrel with a Shortened Grip Frame but only reduced the magazine by a single round. There are several design changes or modifications.

About 35 years ago Detonics came out with the then-smallest 9mm stainless pistol and I just had to have one. While there were advantages in that era to that model ("small frame" stainless) it was so new on the market I couldn't find one.....but ordered by phone direct to FFL locally.

There were a lot of issues with stainless semi-autos in general back then. :s0092:

There were a lot of issues with stainless semi-autos in general back then. :s0092:
Now there is an Understatement of the Century! Detonics .45 Associates truly Pioneered the use of Stainless Steel in the Gun Industry. And much of the work had to be "Long Distance" because they were getting many of the parts from Essex Casting in Island Pond Vermont. I don't remember the name of the outfit that did much of a early Machining but I do remember they were in Texas - More Long Distance.

Back about 1976, I had a chance meeting with Sid Woodcock, the president of Detonics. He had prototype #4 at the S.P.A.A. (Seattle Police Athletic Association) range at the south end of Boeing Field. The slide on #4 had a front sight attached by a small socket-head screw and Mr. Woodcock was trying to see if he could blow it off by firing heavy, proof-level loads through the gun. As I recall, they were 230 grain ball loads with something on the order of 8 grains or more of Unique behind them.

The Detonics line was ahead-of-their-time sub compact .45s, the other calibers coming later. They used a tapered, bushingless barrel, and dual counter-wound recoil springs. A unique feature was that the rear sight was set forward about 1 1/4" and the top surface of the slide was taper milled to aid in manually cocking the gun. Other than that, pure sub-compact 1911. I regret not buying one.

Last Edited:
I listened to the video several times trying to get the name of the individual he said developed the Detonics but wasn't able to get it. I saw the drawings for the early design by Sid Woodcock. As I posted earlier, IIRC those drawing were dated 1953. Lots of other people have laid claim to the development of the Detonics but I do believe Sid Woodcock was the guilty party.

It was a miserable disappointment; crappy trigger, heavy, ponderous, poor accuracy beyond about 10 feet; noisy as hell and lots of recoil. OK, it was a simple design blow-back style and broke ground for the package.

It taught me never to buy a pistol without being able to handle it first, as it did NOT fit my hand.

After about 6 months I finally found someone who couldn't live without his own notion of wonderment, despite my comments & warnings.

Always thought the Detonics 45 had a decent reputation, never had opportunity to handle one. Even now, the few I ever see are high priced gun show models. I've never seen one at the range, that may be a hint.

Of course, there may well be other opinions out there, but I personally wouldn't buy another Detonics 9mm regardless of the price. YMMV.

I bought a Pocket 9 in the mid 80's and only sold it a few years ago mainly because of the lack of spare parts if anything failed. The DA trigger pull was indeed horrible, but the SA follow up shots weren't so bad. I figured the very heavy DA pull weight was a feature to help prevent an AD. Take down reassemble was awful requiring 5 hands and a band-aid. I replaced it with a Shield 9 and don't miss it one bit.

A close friend's father was an original investor in Detonics and was given Combat Master Prototype #P8 and #CP7(chrome). We shoot the P7 at least a couple times a month and CP7 has never been fired. Very easy to shoot and quite accurate.

I really enjoy shooting it and liked it so much that I bought my own. It will eat any ammo I put through it and after hundreds of rounds through it, I have yet to have a failure of any kind. Hope this helps and if you don't buy them, let me know where to get another!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top