JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I spent last Saturday down near Lebanon Oregon at the Oregon Firearms Academy (OFA) for the Defensive Handgun 2 (DH2) class. The DH2 class is based on concealed carry, so we were encouraged to keep everything covered during training. This way the skill set learned is more applicable to those of us who carry concealed.

Range Training
We began the day with a brief review of the skills learned in our DH1 class. This included safety issues, the various reloads, presenting a gun from a concealed holster, and clearing malfunctions. We were encouraged to mix their “trainer rounds” in with our live ammunition. This would give us practice for clearing malfunctions while stressed. (By the end of the day, my hands were roughed up from regularly going through the tap-rack-boom drill, but I had it down pat.) From there, the class became more and more advanced as the day went on. Some of my favorite drills included firing from a kneeling position with hands in the air, firing on moving targets while on the move, team communication, and room clearing.

“Situational” training
Throughout the day, the instructors would remove one student at a time to go through a special course they set up. In the first course, they armed me with an airsoft pistol and protective gear. They described my “real world” situation and released me into the training area. The situation was very normal, but things got exciting in a hurry. Other instructors were waiting for me and acted out a real world situation where my ability to think on my feet was really tested. I died during the first training situation. Those instructors are sneaky! (Shawn, I’m talking about you!) Anyway, it really made me think about what I could do and what I should do in the real world.

The second course was live-fire when we had to go through a building they had set up. For this drill, an instructor was right behind me to help me apply the room clearing techniques I learned earlier. Engaging targets during the room clearing was an eye opening experience. Again, it gave me some things to think about.

Overall
One of my favorite things about OFA is the group of instructors they have. All of them are extremely knowledgeable, encouraging, helpful, and enthusiastic. Throughout the training, there were several OFA “red shirts” coaching and correcting as they walked up and down the line. Their advice was always helpful and specific.

When I finished my DH1 course last year, I told my wife how much I had learned and how many bad habits I broke. This year, I found myself telling my wife about how much new “stuff” I learned that had never occurred to me before.

I strongly recommend OFA to anyone who carries concealed or to anyone who just wants to improve their shooting performance. Their training is well worth the cost and time.

Amen Mark! I just got off the phone w/Vivian. I'm taking CEOTWK in May & CH3 in Sept.

The room clearing just re-enforced the idea that I have no business doing that. It is mainly a military application.

The Adjudicator was really an eye-opener. That's just all-day fun & big-time learning.

The more actual training I get, the more concerned I become with how many people are walking around armed w/no true tactical training at all. Just because you can put holes in paper in the right places while standing on the firing line @the range does not mean that you are able and know what to do when the SHTF.

I spent last Saturday down near Lebanon Oregon at the Oregon Firearms Academy (OFA) for the Defensive Handgun 2 (DH2) class. The DH2 class is based on concealed carry, so we were encouraged to keep everything covered during training. This way the skill set learned is more applicable to those of us who carry concealed.

Range Training
We began the day with a brief review of the skills learned in our DH1 class. This included safety issues, the various reloads, presenting a gun from a concealed holster, and clearing malfunctions. We were encouraged to mix their "trainer rounds" in with our live ammunition. This would give us practice for clearing malfunctions while stressed. (By the end of the day, my hands were roughed up from regularly going through the tap-rack-boom drill, but I had it down pat.) From there, the class became more and more advanced as the day went on. Some of my favorite drills included firing from a kneeling position with hands in the air, firing on moving targets while on the move, team communication, and room clearing.

"Situational" training
Throughout the day, the instructors would remove one student at a time to go through a special course they set up. In the first course, they armed me with an airsoft pistol and protective gear. They described my "real world" situation and released me into the training area. The situation was very normal, but things got exciting in a hurry. Other instructors were waiting for me and acted out a real world situation where my ability to think on my feet was really tested. I died during the first training situation. Those instructors are sneaky! (Shawn, I'm talking about you!) Anyway, it really made me think about what I could do and what I should do in the real world.

The second course was live-fire when we had to go through a building they had set up. For this drill, an instructor was right behind me to help me apply the room clearing techniques I learned earlier. Engaging targets during the room clearing was an eye opening experience. Again, it gave me some things to think about.

Overall
One of my favorite things about OFA is the group of instructors they have. All of them are extremely knowledgeable, encouraging, helpful, and enthusiastic. Throughout the training, there were several OFA "red shirts" coaching and correcting as they walked up and down the line. Their advice was always helpful and specific.

When I finished my DH1 course last year, I told my wife how much I had learned and how many bad habits I broke. This year, I found myself telling my wife about how much new "stuff" I learned that had never occurred to me before.

I strongly recommend OFA to anyone who carries concealed or to anyone who just wants to improve their shooting performance. Their training is well worth the cost and time.

It was great to see you there! The class was really "dialed in" with the basic DH1 skills from what I heard and got to see. Really glad you enjoyed yourself and learned a bunch in the process. Just wait til DH3! That's when things get very interesting!:s0155: And don't get me started on advanced handgun tactics or Extreme....... :woot:

On a side note, if you do CEOTWK. Keep at least an arms reach from Shawn! Trust me on this one:s0155:

Oh man, Big Dave lives in Milwaukie?!?!?

For the time being. LOL!

I really like this:
"The more actual training I get, the more concerned I become with how many people are walking around armed w/no true tactical training at all. Just because you can put holes in paper in the right places while standing on the firing line @the range does not mean that you are able and know what to do when the SHTF. "

As you've found, there is more to carrying a gun than just a 2-3 hour class. Glad to see you're signed up for DH-3! You WON'T be disappointed!

PM me sometime, we could meet up for some coffee at Starbucks. For some odd reason the taste of their java has improved here of late;)

I took DH1 this past weekend and just got done signing up for DH2 in Aug. I'm also signed up for Carbine 1 in june and the Tune up clinic in october.

REALLY wanted to sign up for CEOTWK in Aug but I have a trip to Sun River planned that weekend. If I was a single man I'd cancel the trip and sign up for the class...but being married it'd be a real SHTF event if I tried to run that by my wife.

I'll just have to wait till next year to take the class

DH1 was really fun and very helpful.....I missed my gold pin by one stinking shot being a couple inches left of the scoring zone.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top