JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently in the market for a decently priced rifle capable of shooting quality groups up to 600 yards but primarily from 200 to 300 yards. I'm set on .308 as my caliber and I don't want to get into any discussions about the glass that will be put on it :) I'm hopelessly devoted to Leupold.

I'll admit that I lust for the tactical appearance in my rifles so I have narrowed my search to the Remington 700 VTR and the Savage 10FCP-K. Either way I go I'll throw a bi-pod on it.

Has anyone had personal experience with either of these rifles? Do you currently have one? Love it hate it?

I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Savage Accu-trigger so I'm kind of leaning towards that one. I've never shot with that trigger so I have no reference for how good it is. The Remington X-mark trigger is a bit more conventional... but I haven't heard any water cooler buzz about it being a quality trigger.

Both come standard with an muzzle brake.

The 2 main things boosting the appeal of the Savage is their new 3d accu-stock bedding system that appears to be a great concept that will surely be adopted by other manufactures. That being said it's still pretty young and could still need some adjustments in future models... The full fluted barrel on the Savage appeals more to me than the full tri- barrel on the Remington.

Ok guys, bombard me with your real experience! gogogogogo

Also if you have one for sale let me know :s0155:

I have the Remington SPS tatical, varmint and the VLS all in .308 and have a 10FP. They all shoot less than MOA even with factory loads. The reviews I have read about the VTR and have known people that shot them are not favorable towards that rifle. I prefer Remington over Savage but I love the accu-trigger. I think the triangular barrel through people for a loop. And it is not that much lighter than a heavy barrel. As for price Savage is cheaper but the quality is there. And to end this I am going to say I saw the new Savages with the accu-stock and trigger and the ones I saw were just ugly. I like the older style better. I would stick with the Savage if those are your 2 choices. I can say this though my FN SPR and PBR out shoot both of these hands down and someone is selling a PBR on here for $700. Just my $.02 that is worthless. Good luck.

I have both the VTR and Savage Model 11 (not 10) in .308 synthetic stocks and like them both a lot. Both are considerably more accurate than I am. The VTR has the accutrigger, which is super sweet. But the Savage non-accu trigger is fine too. I might be pursuaded to part with one (don't need both really) if someone is interested in some kind of trade.

I have both the VTR and Savage Model 11 (not 10) in .308 synthetic stocks and like them both a lot. Both are considerably more accurate than I am. The VTR has the accutrigger, which is super sweet. But the Savage non-accu trigger is fine too. I might be pursuaded to part with one (don't need both really) if someone is interested in some kind of trade.

The Remington has the X-Mark Pro and the Savage has the Accu-Trigger. The Remington X-Mark Pro's 08 and earlier are only supposed to be done by a gunsmith but with a little work you can do it yourself. The new models (09) have a little set screw so you can adjust your own trigger. Remington needed that because people were a little upset with all the loktite on the trigger.

I've been doing some reading and I'm seeing that the VTR's muzzle break is pretty much worthless for recoil and barely useful for flip.

RK: thanks for the offer. I'll likely take you up on it! I'm really wondering how the accu-stock really works/doesn't work.

PG: come on man... if a octagonal barrel is the bee's knees on an 1894 then a triangle must been the cat's meow on a 700!

Agree again with PG. If you want a 700 look at the other models- SPS, LTR, etc. So between those 2 the Savage. Between a Savage 10 and a remmy 700- personal chioce!!! I went with the Savage. At the time they were a good deal cheaper than remmy's and imho offer comparable if not better performance. I like being able to change barrels myself easily as well.

I have the Savage 16FHSS with Accu-Trigger and Accu-Stock. It is not in .308(.223), but that is probably my next purchase. The trigger is all they say it is. I am not an expert on stocks, but the reviews were just too good for the little added money. In .308 I would for sure get the up grade stock. The quality of this gun is great and it shoots like a dream. One thing people don't seem to talk much about is balance. I have shot a few guns, but none had the off-hand balance Savage seems to have. I tried several calibers before I bought and they all felt the same. Again, I am not as experienced as some, but I know what I like. The other issue with Savage is service. I had a small problem with the extractor. I called Savage and you would have thought something very dramatic had happened. They acted so concerned it was almost embarrassing. Their service was instant and pleasant. No charge of course. I can't ask for more than that. Good luck!

Weebs, I ordered the gun through Gun Broker, Tigard. I understand that they aren't as much rifles guys, as pistol guys, but they quoted me the best price I could find. I did call around. If you want to talk rifles, go someplace else, but if you want to order from somebody who is pleasant, quick, accomadating and gives you the best price he can, Steve at Gun Broker.
If you want to shoot my Savage send me a message. I shoot at Tri-County, Sherwood a lot. It might be better than talk. Sam

I have the remington 700 sps varmint in .308. Here is my experience with it. The stock on it is garbage. I already knew that when I bought it, intending on upgrading to an AICS 1.5 stock. The trigger was heavy (6 lbs) when I got it, but you can adjust the settings on it i got it to 2 lbs. With good quality glass it will shoot well. I was able to consistantly plink a 7" plate at 800 yards (with hand loaded ammo).

Overall I am happy with it and when my barrell wears out I am planning on putting a Lilja barrel on it. I would also recommend a longer barrell if you plan on doing long distance shooting. The extra velocity really helps to get the bullet out there.

my two cents

I have recently purchased a Savage .308 10FCP-K with an Elite 4200 6-24 x 50mm Bushnell scope attached on a one piece DedNutz Game Reaper mount and Harris bipod. After mounting the scope all I had to do to laser sight it in at 25 yds was 3 clicks windage and 5 clicks elevation, to which I added 2-3 more clicks on paper at 100yds. At the range, during the break-in session, it grouped under .5 MOA at 100YDS with Fiocchi Exacta 168gr amo. Federal Premium Gold Medal 168gr came in second with under 1 MOA groups. I used Fiocchi, Federal Premium Gold Medal, Black Hills, and Prvi Partizan ammo, all in 168gr. The other two performed over 1 MOA groups no matter what I tried. I shot the rifle using first the bipod and then a rest. With scope it weighs in at almost 10lbs.

The action is as smooth as it can get on a factory rifle, the accutrigger will pleasantly surprise you with its smooth and crisp performance. Everything else it feels right once you touch the rifle. Not much felt recoil. I will let you know how it performed in the field after November hunt.

I paid $849 from Harris Sports on gunsamerica.com website and I consider it money well spent as I almost plucked down $4000 for a custom made rifle. The whole rig came in at around $1700. Hope this helps. To recap:

Savage .308 10FCP-K - $849 + $30 shipping +$25 FFL fee

DZ-MT-SVG-AR-SA30-36200 DNZ Dednutz Savage All Round Receiver Short Action 30mm Scope Tube $64.99

BU-RS-426245T Bushnell Elite 4200 Series 6-24 x 50mm Tactical Rifle Scope 426245T $679

Harris S-LM Bipod Leg Notch Sling Swivel Stud Mount 9" to 13" Black $86.99

and then Booom!

Last Edited: