JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend of mine has a well used mid 80s Dan Wesson with a couple barrels. It sounds like he has shot it a bunch and it developed some cylinder slop a couple years back, and he just sort of put it away. They look like they retain good value, and that the best way to get it serviced would be to send it to CZ/Dan Wesson. Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance.

As the proud owner of a ( Pre CZ) Stainless Dan Wesson .44 revolver, I can attest to the quality and value these have! That said, I would contact @Velzey for his god like abilities with Revolver Tuning to restore it's timing and tightness, you will not find a better 'Smith then Tim!

As the proud owner of a ( Pre CZ) Stainless Dan Wesson .44 revolver, I can attest to the quality and value these have! That said, I would contact @Velzey for his god like abilities with Revolver Tuning to restore it's timing and tightness, you will not find a better 'Smith then Tim!

Awesome thanks, Estacada is just down the road.

I had one of the earlier ones back in the 80s - before CZ and before they made them in stainless (after they told me that they never would). It was the six inch ported heavy barrel full lug. Pleasant to shoot, even with heavy loads. At first it had problems with light primer strikes. I sent it in and they fixed it.

Most accurate handgun I ever shot.

I forgot to mention that the porting is nice, but it is an issue with cleaning, especially if you are shooting cast bullets, which they do not recommend. After 50 rounds or so, it is extremely hard to get the shroud off the barrel because of the leading in the port chamber when shooting cast bullets.

I don't know for sure if the CZ guns are offered with porting or not, but I think they are. So take that into account. With a heavy lug barrel, especially 6" or longer, you don't really need the porting.

Some other DW revolvers - like the Supermags - had a comp on the end of the shroud instead of porting, and I believe those did not have the issue with cast bullets as the comp was beyond the barrel.

I have one of these, pre CZ. It came with a full lug 8" barrel which made it a pussycat to shoot, but I wanted the 6" without full lug. The factory very obligingly milled the lug off a shroud for me, since they didn't have any already made, in stock.

I also sent a Model 15 in to be factory tuned before the CZ takeover. I think the gunsmith was doing his last work before retiring. It was excellent work, and it's the tightest gun I have.

Both of these guns are very accurate.

I had a dw 357 mag and a dw 44 mag vh back in the early 80s. Shot field pistol with the 357 and standing big bore with the 44 mag. Never shot a more accurate revolver.

I once owned a DW in .357 Mag with only one barrel. I sold it without firing it.

Why?

Because....

What's the point if I only have one barrel? And, if/when you play with the removable barrel of the DW you will probably need to expend ammo to re-zero it.

Not to mention that I already owned a couple of Smith & Wessons to play with.

Aloha, Mark