JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good day.

I'm trying to reunite with a particular Winchester Model 64 (30-30) that was traded off around 1990 in the Rogue Valley/Medford, Oregon area. The individual that was traded with, sold or traded this rifle sometime in the early 1990s. There's a good chance that the rifle may still be in the Southern Oregon area. The serial number is unknown but it was manufactured around 1948-49

Note: This rifle was given to my dad from my grandfather as a gift in late 1948-early 1949. I have a letter from the La Grande, Oregon gunsmith who did some custom work on it. In the letter he did mention that it "has been styled with deluxe model stock having full pistol grip and beaver-tail forearm." I remember the forearm in particular in that it had nice checkering and had a good "fat" feel. It also had a simple leather sling that was showing signs of wear. It has a 20" carbine barrel.

Please PM me if you have any info.

Thanks for your time.

Last Edited:
Wow, thats like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I would assume you will have to put up the exact serial number if you want to get a response. I would hope it was on the paperwork from that same gunsmith.

Still looking......hoping......praying to find this keepsake.

I'll give you a bump. I (and many of us out there) know what it's like to have that 2nd or 3rd generation "Family gun". I have an old Remington .22 pump that hangs in my gun room next to a picture taken near Helix, OR circa 1930 of it being held by my Grandfather with my Dad standing next to him when he was about 4 years old. On the other side of the gun is another picture taken about ten years later in Richland, OR with my dad holding the same rifle next to his best friend, Walt who was holding a similar gun. I recently tried to locate and contact Walt to send him that picture. I got in touch with his nephew and found out he had passed away a couple of years ago. I sent the picture of his Uncle and he replied that he knows exactly where the rifle that his Uncle Walt is holding. It just left two days prior on it's way to Kentucky with Walt's daughter. What are the chances of having a photograph taken of two rifles together 73 years ago, and knowing exactly where both of them are today? It can happen, but you've a long road ahead of you before you get there. Good luck!

I hope NWFA is not the only place you're looking. I would put some flyers in southern Oregon gun clubs. You're really counting on some guy who happens to notice it and remember they have an old Model 64.

If you put up flyers, you might want to put up a reward...perhaps offer to replace it with a new gun of similar make.

Without the Serial #, how will you know when you get the right one?!?

I would send those flyers to gun shops too. I just saw half a dozen really old Winchester 94s and 73s at Gun Broker Clackamas the other day. Obviously somebody sold off an old collection. I have my great-grandfather's Remington RB #1 sporter. It's the next thing after my wife and kids I'd be concerned about in a fire.

A friend has just asked me to clean up his Great Grandfather's hand me down, a Winchester Model 1894 in 30WCF,
manufacture date is 1898, it has 1/2 hex-1/2 round barrel and a crescent butt-plate, with a tang mounted peep sight.

4Given ; I sure hope you find your Dad's gun; Good Luck !!

A 20" Winchester M64 is a rare gun. Saw such a gun at the Clark County Fairgrounds show a few weeks back. I believe the dealer was asking $3,750 if I recall correctly. It could be the one. I've seen the same dealer at the Portland Expo show. Only sells high end stuff.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top