JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After years of using Dacron batting wads in 47-70 hand loads, Suggested by lymans reloading manual 1984, I used up my supply. Much to my dismay no yard goods in my area (that I've found) carries Dacron batting now even suggesting it's not available any more. It is now all "polyester batting". To my way of thinking this is the same thing "Ester Wise". BUT, since the material added, affects the Pressure and since some years of tweaking due to bullet changes are at stake, makes me wonder; can I consider generic Polyester a direct replacement? are polyesters equal? The polyester batting looks the same, then again Dacron is a trademark product, does it have "secrete" ingredients that might change things. I am not looking forward to working up another “perfect” load from scratch since my current project is tuning in a new sight and i'm nearly out of bullets. Yes it was a poor plan to remove my old sights without verifying i had enough known bullets to finish the job.
Opines appreciated.
Thank you kindly, Thor

Dacron was just a "Trade Name". Unless the product you bought actually had the "TM bug" on the label it may have been made by a dozen or more different companies.

Do you have any of he original product available? Maybe a leftover? Just weigh the amount you were using and then weigh a similar amount of any replacement. The product isn't adding anything to the propulsion charge, just weight that has to be ejected when the round is fired. Same weight, high likelihood that the performance will be the same.

I shoot around a lot of guys that are using the green florist's foam as fill for their cartridges rather than dacron. They just cut it into sheets that are as thick as they want the "fill" to measure, press a filled case up underneath the foam sheet, then seat a bullet which continues to push the "foam" back into the case.

It's kind of funny, when I go to the range after a bunch of guys have been shooting their 45/70's, the whole area ahead of the firing line looks like a matress exploded:cool:

Thank you for the insight, I was not sure if the admonition of lyman stating the wads may add up 2000CUP were a CYA legaleeze or not.
I'll drag out the chronograph, while not a tire gage should help see if something is amiss.
Thor

There are other products out there specifically for this... pufflon is one of the more common ones. However, you can also use cornmeal. I'm guessing these are smokeless not blackpowder?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top