JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Rifle : Left Handed CZ 527 American in .223 Remington
Scope: Leupold VX-3i 3.5 X 10 40mm
Ammo: Winchester 55gr FMJ
On unboxing I was struck by how nice a rifle this is. I left it at my LGS to get the scope mounted and picked it up to take home a couple days later.
I finally decided I "had to do a range day" to test the ammo made on my new press and I may as well bring the CZ along just because I can and I'll be at the range anyway.
Once set up at the range I quickly start having trouble loading the magazine but know it'll work once I figure out the process and as the day goes on it gets better. Not quite right, but better.
Some people complain about the Mag release button being on the right side of the magazine but being left handed it was right where it needed to be for me. Ha, take that right handed world!
I fired 3 5 shot groups to get the scope pointing close to point of impact and in the end had about a 2" group around the bullseye. I'm not too concerned about the group size as this isn't the load I'll be shooting any ways.
I'll develop a 50gr varmint load for Sage Rat hunting.
I did have some trouble with operating the bolt but when I'd push the bolt forward with my thumb it was smooth as glass.
I tried shooting with the single set trigger but found myself worrying about touching the trigger and not paying attention to the shot. I went back to not setting the trigger and it works fine for me.
Overall I found this to be a fun gun with virtually no recoil abet with a few quirks to work out, but that's the stuff that keps it from being a soulless appliance.

I like the set trigger on my 527 (7.62x39) but I agree, it is really light - it will take some practice to be proficient with it. Would never use it while stalking - only with a rest or prone.
I think part of the problem for me is that I have big, strong, half numb mechanic hands so by the time I can feel the trigger the gun has all ready gone off.

Congratulations on the 527. As you may already know, the factory trigger is adjustable in both the standard and set modes. Also, the bolt was smoother on some of mine than others when new, but after some use, they have all slicked up.

Getting a new CZ with wood and metal like rifles were built in years gone by is a special treat in today's polymer stock and matte finish world for someone who appreciates them. Enjoy it!

I have a 527 Royale (and no that's not with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise) and I bought it specifically because the twist rate is compatible with ammo I stockpile for my AR's. If the twist rate on all 527 / .223's is the same, the 50 gr bullet may be light for optimum accuracy.

527 Royale
CZ527-Royal-Leupold.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

041669D4-5F03-4D97-BF5D-EC29D4CF323B.jpeg
I finally got one yesterday. Tried several different handloads and it didn't seem to matter... they all swung the 1" 100 yard target on every shot, in a hail storm. Stellar rifle. 223 American. Great deal. 650 w scope.

I honestly don't know, but it shoots 55gr boattails remarkably well.
Update...
I measured it... 1/12". Which is fine by me. I don't shoot heavies at steel.
And if I ever did shoot something alive with it, I don't think whatever gets hit is going to care about 55 vs 62gr if it's head just exploded.
Barrel is free floated.
The newer models are 1/9".

Last Edited: