JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We're probably going to go with alternating 00 buck and slugs. We're debating having the first round as birdshot as a kind of less lethal 'warning' shot. We live in an apartment with neighbors above and one one side so overpenetration is a concern but if we ever actually need to use it, things have already gotten really bad.

Now you've done it... stand by!!!!

A "warning" shot????????????????????????????????????????????????? :eek::eek::eek:

but if we ever actually need to use it, things have already gotten really bad.

And here I thought racking the slide was supposed to be enough to scare of hoards of determined and armed home invaders each the size of Bigfoot and with equally bad mood... ;););)

facepalm-head.jpg

Funny noises in the night, inside your house... could be one old timid burglar. But many of today's robberies are "home invasion" robberies by armed thugs or crazed tweakers, and they ain't afraid of your gun. I've always figured that if a person is willing to break into my home while I am there, they must also be willing to do me/us harm. Most weak homeowners are either too timid to shoot, or they panic and botch the shot. Look up the Tueller principle... you/she fire a "warning shot into the floor, ceiling, or another room, and the BG (Bad Guy) is on you, stabs you, takes your gun and shoots you both, or shoots you with what he's already carrying. That what you really want? (Reality is, many BGs are scared off by a warning. It might work, It might not. But we're talking about inside your house! Your decision when to use deadly force, but for me I'm of the hide and wait school. If they come into my space, I plan to light em up, and if they are armed and make a move, I will do what is needed to stop the threat.)

War game this out, it's serious biz. Many would say that if you are afraid to shoot to stop the threat, you shouldn't have a firearm. But I won't say that to you. Just think about it, eh?

BTW, if gonna use alternating buck and slugs, might consider #4 Buck since you are in an apartment and overpenetration is a concern. And the pre-segmented PDX1 slugs. (I once had an AD with 00 buck that went thru the closet drywall, the attic insulation, broke several 2x4, a 1x6, out the thick shake roof, and on into the great blue sky). Take a look on YouTube for Paul Harrell's wall penetration demo/test. He's a good guy from The Dalles.

BTW2... Background lighting in the apt living/kitchen areas. And a weapon mounted light for the shotgun.

Last Edited:
Thanks. Lots of good points bbbass.

The neighbor's front door is about 8' across the hallway from ours and the furthest back we could be from our door is about 12' so we were thinking birdshot would be effective and not too over-penetrative at that range. We'll look into #4 Buck too. We're both ready to do whatever it takes to protect ourselves; however, Washington's nanny-state attitudes towards criminals' rights makes it dicey even in the most clear and obvious situations where deadly-force was warranted. The adage of "it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" doesn't cover protecting ourselves from social media, mobs, doxing, etc. Honestly, these days it feels like the law only applies to law-abiding folks and law-breakers get a pass because somehow they're always the victim... :eek:

We certainly don't want or intend to victimize anyone, but we won't allow ourselves to be victimized either.
If level-heads are to prevail they must first survive.

Buckshot and slugs are fine I guess. Personally I prefer high base waterfowl loads. Why? A single slug can be removed and the wound stitched up, same with buckshot. A close range hit from a waterfowl load will damage tissue to the extent it will require the area to be completely excised, of course that's if the blood loss is survived.
Think the difference between poking a steak with a fork or throwing it in a meat grinder.

"We're probably going to go with alternating 00 buck and slugs. We're debating having the first round as birdshot as a kind of less lethal 'warning' shot"
If you have to shoot, it's ostensibly because the situation is you either shoot or come to serious harm. It's time for serious CLANG! HONK! TWEET! not a "warning." A firearm can never be regarded as anything less than lethal. Notice that the only fire control options are SAFE and FIRE, not SAFE, FIRE, & STUN.
Suggest you consider Flite Control ammo to reduce spread and put them all on target.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews