JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I own a XD-9 Subcompact and I love it! One of the best guns I have ever owned. However the one thing I would like to change is the shiny silver mags.
What is the best way to turn them flat black??

Has anybody done this mod ? Thanks for your help. :s0155:

I would have them DuraCoated i do it all the time with mags Duracoat is exstremely durable, in fact here is some i did on an AR-15.

AR15010.jpg

The three laying there are in matte black the other one obviously was painted with the gun. :s0155:

Just bead blast the mags and put a couple of coats of Duracoat on them not hard just need the paint. If you shipped them to me i could coat em for $10 EA including return shipping.

Since this isn't a marketplace ad and normal discussion I am going to chime in with my $.02 worth.

Duracoat is a great finish but it goes on a little thicker than other coatings. You may want to check out CeraKote-H as it is ceramic based coating so it goes on thinner and is just as durable as Duracoat.

Here are some specs for you to consider:
CeraKote-H Specs:

Can be applied to any ferrous metal or polymer surface

Resists up to 140 inch pounds of direct impact

Resists up to 140 inch pounds of reverse impact

Pencil Scratch Hardness 7H

Survived 5% Salt Spray 3,500 + hrs

Oil and solvent resistant

Taber Abrasion (CS 17 wheel, 1,000 mg load, 1,000 cycles) <14.0 mg loss

Adhesion Cross-Cut Tape 5B

Heat Stability 525&#186;F

Duracoat Specs:
Can be applied to any ferrous metal, polymer, or wood surfaces

Resists up to 100 inch pounds of direct impact

Resists up to 80 inch pounds of reverse impact

Pencil hardness rated H to 2H

Surpasses 300 hr 5% salt spray test

Remains flexible even after cure

Covers in thickness of .25mm-1.5mm

In my opinion: Go with the CeraKote for your tight tolerance metal finishes and Duracoat where tolerances are not an issue and polymer items.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want the contact info for the guy who does all my refinish work. He is back logged in work but does an outstanding job! If you were to contact him he would give you a more accurate schedule.

SF-

Since this isn't a marketplace ad and normal discussion I am going to chime in with my $.02 worth.

Duracoat is a great finish but it goes on a little thicker than other coatings. You may want to check out CeraKote-H as it is ceramic based coating so it goes on thinner and is just as durable as Duracoat.

Here are some specs for you to consider:
CeraKote-H Specs:

Can be applied to any ferrous metal or polymer surface

Resists up to 140 inch pounds of direct impact

Resists up to 140 inch pounds of reverse impact

Pencil Scratch Hardness 7H

Survived 5% Salt Spray 3,500 + hrs

Taber Abrasion (CS 17 wheel, 1,000 mg load, 1,000 cycles) <14.0 mg loss

Adhesion Cross-Cut Tape 5B

Heat Stability 525ºF

Duracoat Specs:
Can be applied to any ferrous metal, polymer, or wood surfaces

Resists up to 100 inch pounds of direct impact

Resists up to 80 inch pounds of reverse impact

Pencil hardness rated H to 2H

Surpasses 300 hr 5% salt spray test

Remains flexible even after cure

Covers in thickness of .25mm-1.5mm

In my opinion: Go with the CeraKote for your tight tolerance metal finishes and Duracoat where tolerances are not an issue and polymer items.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want the contact info for the guy who does all my refinish work. He is back logged in work but does an outstanding job! If you were to contact him he would give you a more accurate schedule.

SF-

I,ve used CeraKote myself and it is a good produce but the reason i stayed with Duracoat is there is alot more colors to choose from an in my research there are alot more pros than cons using Duracoat and in my opinon a superior product.

As far as thickness you are mistaken on that aspect, CeraKote recommends a minimum of 1.0 Mil film.

But never the less like i said CeraKote is a good product and i will us it again i'm sure.
:s0155:

Never stated the thickness of the CeraKote-H. Just posted my observations from my Saiga 12 in Duracoat "Multi-cam" and my 870 Police in CerKote-H. Duracoat is thicker and I had to turn up the gas to cycle the low brass, which never had to do that before (It is a Tromix gun, so the gas block system has been reworked and worked perfectly before the Duracoat). The CeraKote maybe 1.0 mil but seems to a better finish (in my opinion only, as stated) for tight tolerances like a magazine in a mag well on the inside of a polymer frame like the XD. Also the ceramic finish seems to have a better "lubricating" properties. Either way what ever the OP decides he can't go wrong and yes the Duracoat does have so many more choices and can be mixed to color matched to what you need. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you a pic of my shotguns and i will show you what I am talking about. I think I better set a photo account huh?

SF-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top