JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess what I mean to say is, that there is a trade off between the 1 MOA and maintenance/reliability. Some piston operated rifles may not "shoot as well" but more. The Mini-14 certainly falls into this category.
One should remember that the most popular rifle ( of this type) in the world does not shoot near 1 MOA and is not an AR or clone.
Accuracy Systems has some nifty looking stuff. I was thinking about sending my Mini-14 there for some work. I read some testimonials form there web site. I haven't tried to contact any of the customers, but I'd like to get some first hand comments. The cost would be in line with other, nicer piston operated guns. I just re-scoped mine but haven't shot it yet, so we'll see
I doubt that it will be close to 1 MOA. I have no expectation that It will be.
If you can get 1 MOA for $700 in an AR , and that is your priority, then the Mini-14 probably isn't for you, best to just take your chances with the AR.

I'm not as concerned with the arguments for or against ARs and Minis.
Then why did you bring it up and then claim you don't want to discuss it? Isn't that called question begging?
You made the comparisons between Ar's and Min-14's in your original post.

1a)
I have an AR-15 (Oly UM-1 Ultramatch), but I'm more of a fan of the M14 / Mini-14 look

2a)
Everyone knows that Mini-14's are nowhere near the accuracy of most AR-15's

And then again in you second post you make more disparaging declarations:
1b)
...it should shoot as well as a $700 AR, which it doesn't.

I have an AR-15 (Oly UM-1 Ultramatch)...
Right, lets stick to the subject. The subject is Accuracy Systems and the Mini-14. Correct? But thanks for the link to Olympic Arms so we can check out the specs on you uber-target, "top of the line in target shooting" AR.

Enough of that.

Andy, when you say you are "picky", I interpret that as meaning that you have a more developed appreciation for accuracy shooting that the average Joe. Yes? My contention is only that there is compromise to be made in machinery. One can't have it all. There is a Yin Yang. I don't doubt you know that.
The point of my question in my first post was to ask your expectations as it related to spending money on a Mini-14. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you don't have money to burn either. I apologize for the opinion that followed it.

Getting around to your original question, finally!
My experience with Accuracy Systems is, I called and spoke with (I'm pretty sure was) Carl about two months ago.
I was looking to purchase a Mini-14. A friend of mine has one that he'd sent off to a gunsmith in Texas years ago and had work done to improve its accuracy. I, like you, like the look of the Mini-14 and understand some of the limitations as well.
Carl and I mainly discussed weather it be better to purchase a base rifle from him or buy one locally had ship it to him. Time was definitely a big factor in my decision. The price of the gun was about the same either way, but the build time was around 5 months. Yikes! I waned to shoot now. He suggested that I can always send it to them at a later date and he'd walk me through the shipping procedure if need be. It didn't make any difference to him. I'll give it a go and just see how bad it is. If I can tweak it here and there to get it good enough for me then so be it.
He sounded very confident that accuracy would be drastically improved, as if there would be no guess work. I was impressed with that matter-of-fact tone. I'm suspicious of technicians who imply there work is art. He made me feel a little better about the prospect of spending another $800 or so on a brand new rifle. My total investment in a Mini-14 would be somewhere around $1500. :eek:
The question I ask my self is, how good does it have to be? I can't answer my own question because I don't know how good it is now.
Based on the research I have done to date, including my phone conversation, I consider the total cost to be inline with other rifles of similar functionality.
The value of such work is strictly subjective. Don't you agree?

Any input is appreciated!

You are most welcome.
I'll be happy to pass along any new facts I receive regarding Accuracy Systems and the Mini-14 if you would like.:peace: