JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I say we encourage the shops to price the ammo high so it stays on the shelves, (and not by buying it). The hysteria will only end when people believe the ammo shortage has been alleviated and that will only happen when product stays on the shelves from one persons visit to their next visit.

From what I understand they had to purchase that retail just to have something to be able to offer hence the high price (and they are only making pennies per round as you have to make something to stay in business)
I still think there is something much more (I know, let me adjust my tin foil hat) to this 'shortage' but that's just me.
What's sad is anyone trying to get into this hobby right now (and those already in it like myself) if prices continue I'm not sure I can continue to have as a hobby.
I know for myself I have set my price limits, .30/round for 9MM (I'm starting to run out of time for reloading and would rather be out shooting), .08-.10 for 22LR. I have a couple k of components for 9 and looks like I'll have fire up the Dillon and crank them out here pretty soon. If prices exceed these limits I just leave it on the shelf.
Like arakboss said above, it's economics 101, supply and demand, if we keep paying these prices why in the heck would they lower them?
We have been and continue to be our own worst enemy :(

I say we encourage the shops to price the ammo high so it stays on the shelves, (and not by buying it). The hysteria will only end when people believe the ammo shortage has been alleviated and that will only happen when product stays on the shelves from one persons visit to their next visit.
That's my feeling with the online places that are pretty much all price gouging. I've been checking various sites for months. Supply has increased and prices have dropped recently. I think we will soon hit inflection point where hoarders will dump their inventory.

Well, that is the essence of a market economy. If we believe in capitalism as we claim, there is actually no such thing a "gouging." A purveyor of goods and services will charge what the market will bear. The demand curve overlaid on the supply channel should determine the retail price with surprising accuracy.

From what I understand they had to purchase that retail just to have something to be able to offer hence the high price (and they are only making pennies per round as you have to make something to stay in business)
I still think there is something much more (I know, let me adjust my tin foil hat) to this 'shortage' but that's just me.
What's sad is anyone trying to get into this hobby right now (and those already in it like myself) if prices continue I'm not sure I can continue to have as a hobby.
I know for myself I have set my price limits, .30/round for 9MM (I'm starting to run out of time for reloading and would rather be out shooting), .08-.10 for 22LR. I have a couple k of components for 9 and looks like I'll have fire up the Dillon and crank them out here pretty soon. If prices exceed these limits I just leave it on the shelf.
Like arakboss said above, it's economics 101, supply and demand, if we keep paying these prices why in the heck would they lower them?
We have been and continue to be our own worst enemy :(
There is no shortage of brass. There is no shortage of lead. What we are experiencing is a shortage of capacity. Demand for manufactured ammunition, smokeless powder, primers, etc., is at a historically unprecedented level. We have more gun owners now that ever in history -- which is great for the 2nd Amendment, but will take some adjustment as suppliers have to adjust their lead times to keep pace with historic demand.

I've spent a little over $1G on 2 cases of 9mm range ammo (including shipping) in the past couple of months. Ouch.
I didn't really need it, but these days anything under .50/rd catches my eye.

I'm done until the prices settle back into place. Doubtful they'll ever get to 2019 prices again, but a restoration of sanity would get me back into the market.

I can hardly wait to see how quickly safes become unobtainium in OR with SB554 on Komrade Kate's desk.

War is Peace
Dissent is Treason
Compliance is Patriotism
Feh!

I've spent a little over $1G on 2 cases of 9mm range ammo (including shipping) in the past couple of months. Ouch.
I didn't really need it, but these days anything under .50/rd catches my eye.

I'm done until the prices settle back into place. Doubtful they'll ever get to 2019 prices again, but a restoration of sanity would get me back into the market.

I can hardly wait to see how quickly safes become unobtainium in OR with SB554 on Komrade Kate's desk.

War is Peace
Dissent is Treason
Compliance is Patriotism
Feh!
I think a closet with a lock on the door would suffice to meet the requirements of the law.

I think a closet with a lock on the door would suffice to meet the requirements of the law.
Yeah... you're right, there's plenty of ways to meet the "requirements".

I recently ordered the safe (more of a glorified storage locker) that I'd been thinking about for a year or so. I was going to get it anyway to ease up some overcrowding, but the passage of SB554 pushed my timeline up a little due to an anticipated shortage. I don't have any kids in the house, the whole damn thing is a typical one-size-fits-all statist boondoggle.

Now I've got to move that heavy SOB (along with the other heavy SOBs) next month when l close on my new house.
Yay.
Once I'm in there I'll start looking for space to build-out a "gun room"... hopefully my last one, it's where they'll find me and my cold, dead hands

Last Edited:
What we are experiencing is a shortage of capacity
Are we?
It's hard for me to imagine with demand being what it is (I do agree there is increased demand) what company doesn't figure out a way to increase production in order to try and keep up? I have worked in production manufacturing environments all of my career and when demands increase you add people, you pay overtime, you add shifts, you add equipment if you think the demand will continue, you improve processes to reduce time from start to finish but you figure it out before the competitions does or another manufacturer jumps in the fray. I wouldn't think you get on YouTube and whine how you are doing everything you can and quit calling us.
And the whole Remington ammunition sale, I still think there is something in there that is a portion of this mess...again, just my opinion and we all know what those are like :)

And no matter what it is, IT SUCKS!!:mad:

Last Edited:
Are we?
It's hard for me to imagine with demand being what it is (I do agree there is increased demand) what company doesn't figure out a way to increase production in order to try and keep up? I have worked in production manufacturing environments all of my career and when demands increase you add people, you pay overtime, you add shifts, you add equipment if you think the demand will continue, you improve processes to reduce time from start to finish but you figure it out before the competitions does or another manufacturer jumps in the fray. I wouldn't think you get on YouTube and whine how you are doing everything you can and quit calling us.
And the whole Remington ammunition sale, I still think there is something in there that is a portion of this mess...again, just my opinion and we all know what those are like :)
I have always felt this way too. Others have argued that the ammo manufactures didn't want to add on additional manufacturing capacity because the demand would fall off eventually and they would be stuck with the investment in extra capacity. I don't know whether that is true or not. I think covid crisis could have played a role in restricting manufacturing capacity but I don't think we'll ever know for sure what the hang ups are/were.

And if you remember prior to all this Covid crap ammo prices were CRASHING, I, like many others were sitting on the side waiting to see just 'how low can it go' before pulling the trigger and stocking up again. It was like every day checking in to see how much did it drop.....
If we only would have known..... :(

And if you remember prior to all this Covid crap ammo prices were CRASHING, I, like many others were sitting on the side waiting to see just 'how low can it go' before pulling the trigger and stocking up again. It was like every day checking in to see how much did it drop.....
If we only would have known..... :(
"We" did know. As in every firearms owner whom has been around for a bit. Even ones whom had never been thru a blight before, if they had heard of or read of such.

This began during a contentious election year, wherein such was expected. The plan-demic simply piled onto what was an expected price increase/inventory decrease. THEN said contentious election was lost to the known Anti-2A regime.

No sympathy given for folks whom knew, but opted not to plan accordingly. Not a drop. When they COULD HAVE & SHOULD HAVE.

Quite different than folks whom couldn't have (for any number of reasons). Plenty of sympathy for said. More along empathy, having been in similar situations in life.

I have always felt this way too. Others have argued that the ammo manufactures didn't want to add on additional manufacturing capacity because the demand would fall off eventually and they would be stuck with the investment in extra capacity. I don't know whether that is true or not. I think covid crisis could have played a role in restricting manufacturing capacity but I don't think we'll ever know for sure what the hang ups are/were.
Vista Outdoors aka the owners of Federal and Remington is running its ammo production lines 247. And now that Remington is up and running, supply is finally catching up.

The real question is has the panic relaxed enough that ammo can sit.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top