JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been starting to toy with a new series idea for my weekly column at RedState, a "Drill of the Month." Basically, posting a drill or an LE/Military qualification course-of-fire, and inviting the readers to shoot it and submit their best score for acknowledgment in the next month's DOTM entry. Mainly, I'd really like to focus on Quals so people can better appreciate the standards set for those in uniform.

What I've found so far and where:
  • "Old" (pre-2001) Federal Air Marshal (TTAG, THR)
  • "Old" (pre-2013) FBI (TTAG, THR)
  • "New" (2013-on) FBI (TTAG, ART)
  • Colorado state POST (THR)
  • CBP Officer Field Course (THR)
  • CBP Officer Academy Course (THR)
  • ICE (THR)
  • Tactical Professor "Baseline Evaluation" (ART)
  • Kyle Defoor's "Humbler" (ART)
  • Ohio POTC Rifle Qual
  • might have a copy of Marine Annual Rifle Training standards around somewhere
Any of you guys out there have any recommendations for similar Quals and favorite drills, preferably with primary-source links? (If you do, I'll credit you with the referral if I use your suggestion.) I've asked Jeff Gonzales for permission to excerpt an eight-card selection (four each) from his TACOST Rifle and Pistol training-card decks, and am waiting for a response.

Also, should I start hard with something like the FAM or the Humbler, or should I look for something easy for the first times out?

I would always assume that most folks will benefit from the more basics before trying the more complex, especially if/when it requires a more technical experience or equipment and training with said! Out side that, I would always consider the Army basic marksmanship or the U.S.M.C. basics Riflemans course to be the minimum standards to work from!

Thanks, @Ura-Ki --I only posted the FAM today because it was what I had a Youtube readily found for, and Management requested I include video of each drill/qual with the writeup. For the moment we're probably going to be stuck with Handgun with the theme of LE Quals, but next year I'd like to do a pattern of alternating months Handgun/Long Gun. (Also, I'd bet that not many folks have access to some of the specialized facilities required for Marine rifle... if not for that and if they were updated regularly I'd like to make one shoot every year the latest Marine Annual Rifle Qualification.

Piece is published at RedState's Watercooler, 5/30 Open Thread: Drill Of The Month - Federal Air Marshal Qualifier , I'm thinking next month and then every six months after the Baseline Eval so that people can start by seeing what they need to work on, and see the progress made.

Personally, I feel there isn't any "Standardisation" across the board for LE, even at the basic levels, so it' difficult for me to quantify that as a minimum basic, not only that, I have witnessed civilian training that is superior to that, so again, a set minimum is what I look for, so I would first attmpt to define that! I also believe far more pistol training needs to be done, but NOT at the expense of practical Defensive Rifle, especially how many folks are realising the truth about the limits of the pistol for defensive use! I would even go so far as to say it should be a 3 to 1 ratio between the two, and I would lump shotgun in with the rifle side, but seporatly! JMHO :D

Good points... I'm also writing for an audience of largely Coastal Yuppiecons, some behind enemy lines in Ban States. Thinking the FBI Qualifier would be a good "Regular" to do - Shooting Drill- FBI Qualification Test and the Baseline Eval's at The Tactical Professor's "Baseline Evaluation"

Thing is, we're only doing one a month (every last Wednesday), and I'd like to keep a consistent pattern with two pistol Benchmarking sessions a year (June and December). So maybe something like...
  • January
  • February: Shotgun
  • March
  • April: Rifle - Marine ART
  • May
  • June: Pistol - FBI Qualifier
  • July
  • August: Shotgun (possible warmup for hunting season)
  • September
  • October: Rifle - ?
  • November
  • December: Pistol - FBI Qualifier
The big thing is, I don't want to do Rifle or Shotgun back-to-back, and I'd really like a mil/LE CQB Carbine and two mil/LE Shotgun drills in the "annual fixed" schedule. Half the year consistent, the other half left for me to throw surprises and drop firecrackers down their skivvies... :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top