JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at the Colorado Gun Collectors Show in mid May and picked up a neat Ballard #6 Scheutzen rifle. Then got home and was offered a Remington Rolling Block with Gove style under lever conversion! Couldn't pass it up, even though I was gun poor and broke. So dug up enough to buy the Remington-Gove too!
The Ballard is a factory Nimschke engraved rifle, with very nice wood, and sporting a George C Schoyen Denver, Co. barrel. A heavy #5 weight 32" barrel that has the usual browned Schoyen finish still, and a perfect .32-40 bore!

6mYbn6fl.jpg

EmhBCUel.jpg

HQgLZcCl.jpg

95ko5SLl.jpg

mkfQS9Kl.jpg

6SNr9jjl.jpg

The Rolling Block is a factory Sporting Rifle with a Gove style conversion to under lever operation! The barrel is a false muzzle .32-40 octagon. Receiver has the typical long lower tang and octagon top, and has a single set trigger. The false muzzle is unusual with it's aluminum knurled collar, which I've not seen previously. Bore is also strange with 12 lands and grooves, instead of the usual 6 groove used on most .32's.

GqofGXBl.jpg

UnDHpMKl.jpg

qvZr1MGl.jpg

XDORYBLl.jpg

MmiH7nml.jpg

JH61wEjl.jpg

jXhgvnSl.jpg

HlxqXa3l.jpg

Very nice rifles!

On the Rolling Block conversion, is the lever rigidly connected to the block, or does it operate through a linkage?

Bruce

Very nice rifles!

On the Rolling Block conversion, is the lever rigidly connected to the block, or does it operate through a linkage?

Bruce
The lever is not ridged to the block. Not quite sure how it's connected for positive yet. I can't see without disassembly, and so far haven't found any diagrams showing how Gove did his? If I get brave one day, I might delve into disassembly and see how it works for sure.

I was searching this morning for some hint of who did the gun, and when I unscrewed the buttplate screws I got a surprise! The buttplate was made from two pieces! The center with Rem. logo, and a separate perimeter that fits so close I couldn't see the parting line!

OUhEPJ6l.jpg

jbtGo5Pl.jpg

QkXQ4lul.jpg

I think the outer is an original hard rubber from some gun, then a repro center fitted to make it look proper.

Very nice rifles!

Bruce
Doing a small gunsmithing job on the Roller to reduce hammer mainspring weight, and had the stock off to thin down the mainspring. I was able to see into the action, and see a piece of square stock about 3/16" square that attaches to the lever, and breech block to operate the block open and closed. So it does have a linkage built into the design.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top