JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the market for a new carry pistol. My Glock 27 has worked for many years but I think its time to move to a .45. I am down to two compaines. Colt and Kimber. I like Colt, own a couple and have been happy with them. Here is what my short list is:

New Agent but am not sold on the trench sights. This year they are adding a Crimson Trace option to the compact .45. I have a call in to their custom shop to see if they would mount sights on the gun, havent heard back yet.

Kimber Ultra TLE II (LG)This is a sweet looking compact .45. But I dont know much at all about Kimbers, and no one I know has one to shoot.

They are both close in price. Ive watched several youtube videos on the New Agent, all were very positive.

Any Ideas?

Those sized guns are not made for bullseye shooting, they are made for up close and personal situations...meaning...pounds some rounds into your target and get out of there. So sights don't really come into play for what their intended use is made for.

I hear this a lot about 1911's, and since you made the same comment, I'll expound on it a bit.

A "Sweet looking compact" or any other like comment to me, means little if the QC isn't there. Try as hard as you can to get past the 'bells and whistles', and go for quality over looks.

But above all else, the gun must function every time...even after being carried for many months. It must be reliable to the point that every time you shoot it, it should NEVER malfunction at any time with the amount of ammo you will ever carry on your person.

So given the above...the sights on the Kimber are way overboard for the size. Those should be on a full sized gun, not something that will be for an unexpected, up close to contact distance confrontation. I highly doubt the sights will ever be used to their potential, and you won't get the potential out of them with that short of barreled gun.

Although the trench sights are a bit odd, look back on some of the basic S&W model revolvers, most had the same set up for the rear sight...just a trench cut into the top of the frame...but they did have a blade for a front sight.
Yes, they may take some getting used to, and in the end that might be the deal breaker...and no one can fault you for that...its a personal choice.

I would ask around the forum and see if anyone here has the two models you're looking for, and hopefully they will be generous enough to allow you to try them
out.

Be well

I used to have an AMT Backup .45 that had a trough (trench) sight. It was no fun trying to shoot pop cans, even at a close distance. But I knew that target shooting was not the intended purpose of that gun and had no doubts that I could hit what I needed to at the distance it was designed for. I believe that the purpose this type of gun is intended for won't even have you looking at the sights. Most likely you'll kinda/sorta be looking over the slide and pulling the trigger.

If you want to punch paper, buy one with sights. Want to cover your butt? The trench will be fine.

If your not 100% sold on either a Colt or a Kimber, STI has several compact 1911's. I have no personal experience with them, but the people who I have talked to that do own and shoot them are sold on them.

I was faced with the same decision and chose a new Dan Wesson CCO. IMO it is as good as some that cost twice as much.
DanWesson003.jpg

I was faced with the same decision and chose a new Dan Wesson CCO. IMO it is as good as some that cost twice as much.
DanWesson003.jpg

+1 on Dan Wesson 1911's. I carry a DW CBOB daily. While I wouldn't classify the CBOB as compact, it carries and conceals easily and in my opinion is one of the best bangs for the buck out there. They no longer make the CBOB, but replaced it with the VBOB. I don't know what you call "compact", but it is a 4 1/4" barrel vs. a 4" barrel which I believe is what the Kimbers are. It is also a full length grip vs. an officer length grip.

I paid $1450 for it at Guncrafters in Salem. I may have been able to save buy buying online, but chose not to. I have found that I like a full size grip better than the officers grip on this CCO, but it carries and shoots real nice.

If you really like the Colt New Agent but for the sights, you may want to consider the Colt Defender. Bought mine second hand a couple years ago, and has been a reliable handgun so far. I'll have to admit that it stings a bit more at the range than my steel full sized 1911's, but since you've been shootin a G-27 for a while doubt that will bother you to much.

The CCO is a great size, have always like the short grip with the longer barrel/slide configuration.

The grip length is what causes problem for concealment.