JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all! I have a Colt Woodsman MT Series 2 1949 .22 LR Automatic with leather holster and magazine. Overall good condition. This pistol was my grandpa's. I was thinking of selling it because it's not really anything I'm interested in and don't shoot it much. I have a Colt 1903 also handed down from him that I plan to keep. When I was researching the Woodsman I kept coming across posts speaking so highly of them and had no idea they were so expensive and treasured. I guess this post is just to get more info on why they are so highly regarded and maybe to convince myself to keep it as an heirloom in addition to the 1903. Open to discussion on the 1903 also. Cheers!

20240307_154043.jpg 20240307_154118.jpg 20240307_153959.jpg 20240307_180020.jpg 20240307_175954.jpg

Well...they don't make 'em any more.
And...they are spendy to replace if you sell and then regret doing so.

The Colt Woodsman series are a finely made , well balanced and good shooting pistol
Plus it was your Granddad's.....that would give me pause at least , if it was mine.
Andy

Think about it long and hard. Don't do anything you'll regret. Been there, done that! Very nice pistols!

I have seen a number of Woodsmans in personal collections over the years, and some were pretty extensive. They have been a sought after item for some time.

Last Edited:
Without a doubt I would most emphatically keep them both for reasons stated above . We all could share of the different items we had slip away for various reasons only to wish them back in the fold . It is most difficult to get back an item once it has left ones possession and if able the cost is most certainly higher . Retain them and rejoice in their history . Blessings . :)

Without a doubt I would most emphatically keep them both for reasons stated above . We all could share of the different items we had slip away for various reasons only to wish them back in the fold . It is most difficult to get back an item once it has left ones possession and if able the cost is most certainly higher . Retain them and rejoice in their history . Blessings . :)
That's kind of what I'm leaning towards now having heard all the wise advice! Thanks!

I'm 76 years old for a couple of more months and I will tell you without the slightest reservation that I sold the only gun that my Grandfather gave me. I was young, in a financial jam, and foolish when I made that decision. I have forever regretted the choice I made that day. I would love to have your Woodsman, but I'd rather see you keep it.

Op. You're new here. Welcome.

Search for "Guns you regret selling" and you will find several old threads that would lead you to the conclusion that you should keep just about any decent gun. A Colt Woodsman? Man, there's not even a decision to be made in my opinion. If so, it's an easy one - KEEP IT.

While it would bring a decent amount of money it is not the most collectable of the woodsman's. However, as many have stated, if you sell it, that is a part of your family that you will never get back.

As a side not, take it out and shoot it, you might find that you like it more than the new plastic 22's. Yours has history and that make it cool!

Good luck.

Ok, say you go ahead and sell it. Now you have some money. Which has a way of getting spent. Next think you know, you no longer have the money. Of course you no longer have the pistol either. Now you got nothing (see third paragraph).

Before you got the pistol from grandpa, you didn't have that money. Have circumstances changed so much since then that now you need to sell the gun for mere money?

If you do go ahead and sell the pistol, please don't tell me you're using the money to buy some fancy electronic trash that will be obsolete or broken within a few years.

Finally, if you keep the pistol and later get in money trouble, you can always sell it then if the situation is dire enough. It's probably not going to lose relative monetary value over time. If you do keep the pistol, make every effort to keep it secure so it won't grow legs and walk off.

I'm 76 years old for a couple of more months and I will tell you without the slightest reservation that I sold the only gun that my Grandfather gave me. I was young, in a financial jam, and foolish when I made that decision. I have forever regretted the choice I made that day. I would love to have your Woodsman, but I'd rather see you keep it.
I appreciate your sentiment. I think I'm beginning to appreciate it more with each comment.

Op. You're new here. Welcome.

Search for "Guns you regret selling" and you will find several old threads that would lead you to the conclusion that you should keep just about any decent gun. A Colt Woodsman? Man, there's not even a decision to be made in my opinion. If so, it's an easy one - KEEP IT.
I am! Thank you. I hope to remain off the "guns I regret selling" list!

While it would bring a decent amount of money it is not the most collectable of the woodsman's. However, as many have stated, if you sell it, that is a part of your family that you will never get back.

As a side not, take it out and shoot it, you might find that you like it more than the new plastic 22's. Yours has history and that make it cool!

Good luck.
Yeah I think I will take it out more now. It sure is stout!

Ok, say you go ahead and sell it. Now you have some money. Which has a way of getting spent. Next think you know, you no longer have the money. Of course you no longer have the pistol either. Now you got nothing (see third paragraph).

Before you got the pistol from grandpa, you didn't have that money. Have circumstances changed so much since then that now you need to sell the gun for mere money?

If you do go ahead and sell the pistol, please don't tell me you're using the money to buy some fancy electronic trash that will be obsolete or broken within a few years.

Finally, if you keep the pistol and later get in money trouble, you can always sell it then if the situation is dire enough. It's probably not going to lose relative monetary value over time. If you do keep the pistol, make every effort to keep it secure so it won't grow legs and walk off.
You make some fair points. I think I agree with you and the others. Thanks!

If you think it is too heavy, get a chance to shoot a Woodsman Sport or Target model without the underlug barrel. If you like the lighter model, buy one, but keep your Grandfather's pistol. Don't ever let your Grandfather's pistols go!

The 1903 has been re-finished. Still, it is grandpa's gun. The Woodsman is almost jewel-like by comparison. Unless you need the money, they take up little space.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews