JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, joined your forum just now with an ulterior motive.
As a fan of all things relating to Victorian engineering, my main interest being the making of scale working models of stationary steam engines, for a change and for the past couple of months I have been in the process of making a replica (non firing as I'm in the UK) of a Colt Walker but may end up as a Dragoon as I like the trigger guard shape on the 1st & 2nd models and the more reliable loading lever.
So far I have made the frame, hammer, trigger, pivot screws and locking bolt but this is my question:
Why has the locking bolt got a slot cut in it? And why is the cam on the hammer chamfered (tapered)?
I understand the actions principal and works fine to the point of firing when the hammer cam tries to go between the locking bolt and the frame and jams.
I have modified the cam with no taper and the bolt with no slot and now when you release the trigger in goes to the half cock position.
I would rather make it as Uncle Sam intended but like I said I fail to see why the bolt has a slot and the cam is chamfered.
If any of you old boys out there who own one of these things knows I would be grateful.
Some interesting topics on here btw.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads