JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, joined your forum just now with an ulterior motive.
As a fan of all things relating to Victorian engineering, my main interest being the making of scale working models of stationary steam engines, for a change and for the past couple of months I have been in the process of making a replica (non firing as I'm in the UK) of a Colt Walker but may end up as a Dragoon as I like the trigger guard shape on the 1st & 2nd models and the more reliable loading lever.
So far I have made the frame, hammer, trigger, pivot screws and locking bolt but this is my question:
Why has the locking bolt got a slot cut in it? And why is the cam on the hammer chamfered (tapered)?
I understand the actions principal and works fine to the point of firing when the hammer cam tries to go between the locking bolt and the frame and jams.
I have modified the cam with no taper and the bolt with no slot and now when you release the trigger in goes to the half cock position.
I would rather make it as Uncle Sam intended but like I said I fail to see why the bolt has a slot and the cam is chamfered.
If any of you old boys out there who own one of these things knows I would be grateful.
Some interesting topics on here btw.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads