Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

colt new frontier ???

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Blane67, May 2, 2009.

1. Blane67

Blane67 columbia gorge Active Member

anyone familiar with the colt new frontier? having some difficulty with conflicting web info! I understand G prefix means buntline. I recently acquired one, ser# G17xxxx curious about man. date. couldnt find it on proofhouse. it's a .22lr/.22 mag revolver. any info greatly appreciated.

2. toys

toys PDX Member

"G" doent mean buntline. It mean "G". It was originally an "L" but the "L" was confused with "1" so Colt went with the "G". its a alphabet prefix to the s/n. they did have a "GS" NF series that was 22LR only, but the s/n is in the G200000+ and it has the cross bolt safety. you would know if you had one.

from your s/n, it appears that your NF could be a dually. IE, 22LR and 22Mag. btw, there was also Peacemakers too. but just because you have 2 cylinders doent mean it left the factory that way. the only way to find out is to have the OEM Box w/info or a letter from Colt.

the barrel length will tell you if its a "buntline". the NF/PM buntlines had a barrel length of 7.5" but again, this is only for the NF/PMs. They also made NF/PM barrel lengths of 4.4, 4.75 & 6"

since you dont have any other info other then s/n and make. i cant tell you approx DOB for you NF.

btw, all of the info i stated is from Wilkersons book. if youre going to collect more of these Colt SAAs 22LRs, then i would suggest obtaining a copy of Wilkersons book. it has a wealth of information with regards to types, makes, oddies and approx number of them made for each variation.

3. Blane67

Blane67 columbia gorge Active Member

thanx much for the info, i'll have to check out wilkersons book