JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking of buying a Colt frontier scout model '62 .22 mag. My question is: I want to shoot .22lr and this model only came with .22 mag cylinder. I know where there is a .22lr Frontier scout cylinder I could buy, would it work?
Are barrels for a .22 mag the same size as .22lr barrels? this gun was built specifically for .22mag and I'm wondering if its safe.
I went to different sites and read differing technical answers and still am confused.

Your Frontier Scout .22 Magnum would be safe to fire .22lr ammo, if you had the .22lr cylinder.

The Frontier Scout was sold as .22 Magnum caliber, or .22lr caliber, and after 1964 it was offered with both cylinders.

The .22 Magnum (or the convertible) has a bore size of .224, (for the Magnum jacketed bullet) and relies on the obturation of the rear of the Long Rifle bullet (.223 dia) to engage the rifling. Therefore, most of those guns frequently shoot more accurately with .22 Magnum ammo.

It would NOT be safe to obtain a Magnum cylinder for a gun that was originally sold as a .22lr only.

This info is also applicable to the Ruger Single Six. For either gun, ideally the new cylinder should be fitted to that gun in consideration of proper cylinder gap to the barrel throat.

If you cannot locate a Long Rifle cylinder, an option for a mild load would be to obtain a box or two of .22 WRF ammo. (Winchester does a run of this caliber every 5 years or so, because so many pump Model 90's are still out there healthy.) Though not cheap, this cartridge will chamber in a .22 Magnum chamber and fire safely and accurately.

I think I'll wait for a .22lr revolver, I looked up WRF ammo and its a seasonal pricey item, so the next Rough Rider or Single Six that comes up I'll grab it.
Thanks for explaining it all for me so's I could understand it.

I have it in .22lr only. Nice gun if you like single action, and very accurate. Mine's a touch small for my hand.

Spitpatch is right on about everything. He wrote you a very accurate and informative piece there.

If you really just want to shoot 22lr, buy a 22lr. That round isn't very accurate in a magnum barrel. The most you can say is that they work.

I have had for years a Colt Peacemaker, Bluntline. It wears a 7.5 inch barrel and has both cylinders. There is not a large difference in accuracy betweeen the two calibers, but a very small edge with the Mag cartridge. Never used the WRM cartridge, but pretty spendy for just slightly higher velocity. They can be safely used in the Mag cylinder, but why would you? Long out of business, but Christy Gun Works in Sacremento, Calif. used fit extra cylinders to single action Colts. There may be others, including Colt's custom shop, but the cost may be prohibited to having it done. Guess there isn't any easy answer to this one, except maybe use it in the caliber you have, and be thankful of your ownership, and perhaps it will never be made in the future.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top