JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$700
Manufacturer
Colt
Caliber
45 ACP
City
Hillsboro
State
Oregon
Zip Code
Here is my Colt Commander 1911 .45 ACP.

NOT INTERESTED IN TRADES.

Beautiful blued steel with two Clark magazines. If you know your pistols, you either know you want/need this...or will ask me something I cannot answer.

20191102_085419.jpg 20191102_085427.jpg 20191102_085436.jpg 20191102_085451.jpg 20191102_085508.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
I'm gonna guess it was modified in the 80's. The grip safety looks like a Safari Arms, or a King Gun works, which were the only commercial ones around back then. These had to be hand fitted because there were no jigs for them as there are now. Guys like Pachmeyr, Swenson, Hogue etc. made their own.
The rear sight looks like a Millet, and the front sight is also a Millet that was staked on with dual tangs.
All three companies are out of business

Here's some pics of a Commander I modified back in the early 80s using whats looks like that same grip safety

12- Colt Combat Commander.jpg 14- Colt Combat Commander.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm gonna guess it was modified in the 80's. The grip safety looks like a Safari Arms, or a King Gun works, which were the only commercial ones around back then. These had to be hand fitted because there were no jigs for them as there are now. Guys like Pachmeyr, Swenson, Hogue etc. made their own.
The rear sight looks like a Millet, and the front sight is also a Millet that was staked on with dual tangs.
All three companies are out of business

Here's some pics of a Commander I modified back in the early 80s using whats looks like that same grip safety

View attachment 643700 View attachment 643701

Nice work. :s0155:
I always prefered the use of S&W adjustable rear sights on 1911 customs.

I was actually thinking of an early George Huening because of the "GH"on the barrel hood, but all I can find for his makers mark is one photo showing it stamped under the slide release

The ambi thumb safety looks like a Swendson to me.

It looks like a Swenson but it's not. The original Swensons had his brand on the strong side. But it works just as well
This one is on a Para-Ordnance frame / Colt slide that I built back in the 80s

I just noticed the extended slide stop. It also looks like the ones that were sold back in the day by Safari Arms

Since there seems to be a lot of old world mods done here, I'd be interested to know if the original Colt barrel had been accurized. by a fitted barrel bushing and welding up and recutting the bottom lugs and barrel hood. Back in the day that was a common practice. A tight fitting Colt barrel was just about as accutate off hand as a Bar-sto, Kart etc. in it's day

DSC00004.JPG 02-  ParaOrdnance-Colt.jpg

Last Edited:
Wow... Lots of interesting customization going on in these previous posts. I have a stock original 70's combat Commander in 38super auto. I love it, and it's beautiful to me just the way it is... Which is probably a good thing for me due to the time and costs involved in the beautiful customizations that went into those firearms. Thanks for sharing pics!

That was done in the 70's for sure absolutely and Swenson, Clark and Kings would square off the trigger guards like that as well as Bob Chow and Hoag! Mostly Swenson, Hoag, Clark, but King would do it quite often at request as well as Chow. My grandfather had a couple from Chow and Swenson and i have a couple from King and Clark. Shame this one doesnt have any markings at all. Swensons used to bug me as they usually marked the saftey on the strong side safety and that could be changed out and then no other markings at all! My gramps didnt like the SS safety on his all blued gun and he had a blued version put in but luckily he saved the swenson marked SS one or you wouldnt know who did the work without first hand knowledge or receipt of the work.

Anyway, finish on this one has me wondering as well but i might still be intersted in it.

Ill be sending pm to discuss it.

Last Edited:
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top