JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Background: Examining my Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag, it seems the barrel needs replacement. I've beaten it hard and it certainly looks worse for the wear. Still, I've never heard of this before -- it seems the lands are wearing out near the muzzle. If I am correct, that would explain why I cannot aim for shizzle with it any more. At 200 yards, one shot will be within the 6 ring, the next off paper.

I like the Howa action, so thought I'd rebarrel it. For the cost of rebarreling, I could go out and buy a new Vanguard in 7mm RM. I can also install a 26" or longer tube if I rebarrel.
I thought I'd try something new: 7mm Shooting Times Westerner, or 7mm Dakota.

The STW fits right in with the bolt face, but would require receiver modifications: enlarging the ejection port for the longer cartridge, plus extending the mag well.
The Dakota fits with all the receiver geometry, but needs the bolt face rim to have 1/128" removed from the inside (.545"Ø vs .532"Ø). I also read that the Dakota brass is scarce and difficult to work with.

The ballistics between the two are ver similar, but the STW uses 20-25% more powder to deliver the same performance.

Comments or suggestions are always appreciated.

What about the new 28 Nosler, seems like it would solve your problems. Meant to be used in standard length action, and the same rim diameter as the 7mm Rem Mag. It preforms at the same level as the STW. In the April 2015 issue of Shooting Times Layne Simpson (father of the 7mm STW) wrote a great article on the 28 Nosler, and it matches the STW numbers.

What about the new 28 Nosler, seems like it would solve your problems. Meant to be used in standard length action, and the same rim diameter as the 7mm Rem Mag. It preforms at the same level as the STW. In the April 2015 issue of Shooting Times Layne Simpson (father of the 7mm STW) wrote a great article on the 28 Nosler, and it matches the STW numbers.

Thanks -- looks tempting.
I looked at PTGs site but don't see anything about reamers or gauges. I figure that will show up sometime soon. Hmm. Belted magnum or shouldered case....

Also looked at the 7mm Rogue & the 7mm LRM

Thanks -- looks tempting.
I looked at PTGs site but don't see anything about reamers or gauges. I figure that will show up sometime soon. Hmm. Belted magnum or shouldered case....

Also looked at the 7mm Rogue & the 7mm LRM
I would call them and ask, there website may not be up to date. Worse they can say is no or maybe give you a time frame until they are available. Best of luck.

Looked at it with the tube pointing in the direction of the sun. Clearly, not worn at all. Gave it a good Nitro copper scrub and then several scrubs with Hoppes #9. Lands look great. The problem is, if my aim was that off, it means I suck. :eek:

Though the ceracote's gone from the muzzle, the crown looks good.
So I pillar and glass bedded it. Then free floated the barrel. The plastic stock was wedged against the barrel from the receiver all the way out. Next to bed the scope rail and re-align my scope. :)
Spending all that time examining it sure makes me see what an ugly gun it is. Time for a camo epoxy paint job.

Maybe some day I'll look at the STW or Dakota, but between those and the 7Rem Mag, there isn't much difference that makes it worth the cost.
However, had a magnum action Savage wasting away - ordered a 338 Edge barrel & Brake. :D It'll be here next week.
Now I need a stock. I was checking out a HS Precision the other day, didn't like it (hate the fore-end and thought the palm swell was too fat). Looking at McMillan, Manners and Choate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top