JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If POTUS and the NRA state that Chicago, has the toughest Gun Laws.
Then what is being done to curb this, and is it true ?
Gun Laws in the Last 10 Years:
Here's a timeline of recent changes to Chicago's laws:

• June 2010: Chicago's ban on handguns was ended by the Supreme Court in the McDonald v. Chicago case
• December 2012: Illinois' concealed carry ban — the last of its kind in the United States — ended in a court decision, though the state still restricts where people can carry concealed guns
• July 2013: The Firearm Concealed Carry Act went into effect, providing regulations for concealed carry
• September 2013: Chicago ends its gun registry
• January 2014: A judge rejected Chicago's ban on gun shops
• June 2017: Gov. Bruce Rauner signed a law that's meant to lead to harsher punishments for people repeatedly convicted of gun crimes.

FACT:
Both Los Angeles and New York have tougher Gun Laws, and less crime with firearms then Chicago.

What makes Chicago different or worse? And how would less gun restriction laws or more gun rights laws change anything?
If you can't answer this, then you can't fight here in the NW, where laws are was less restrictive.
NOTE:
Fact Chicago eased up on restrictive gun laws, but didn't change anything, no better , no worse.

DH

FACT:
Both Los Angeles and New York have tougher Gun Laws, and less crime with firearms then Chicago.

What makes Chicago different or worse? And how would less gun restriction laws or more gun rights laws change anything?

Fact Chicago eased up on restrictive gun laws, but didn't change anything, no better , no worse.

Crime rates are much more a function of the demographics of a city or state than the gun laws of the city or state.

• There are dramatic race differences in crime rates. Asians have the lowest rates, followed by whites, and then Hispanics. Blacks have notably high crime rates. This pattern holds true for virtually all crime categories and for virtually all age groups.
  • In 2013, a black was six times more likely than a nonblack to commit murder, and 12 times more likely to murder someone of another race than to be murdered by someone of another race.
    The Color of Crime - American Renaissance

Los Angeles is 9.6% African American Los Angeles - Wikipedia
New York is 25.1% African American Demographics of New York City - Wikipedia
Chicago is 32.9% African American Chicago - Wikipedia

• If New York City were all white, the murder rate would drop by 91 percent, the robbery rate by 81 percent, and the shootings rate by 97 percent.
  • In an all-white Chicago, murder would decline 90 percent, rape by 81 percent, and robbery by 90 percent.
    The Color of Crime - American Renaissance

Washington is 3.6% African American http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/washington-population/ and ranks #34 out of 50 states for homicide rate List of U.S. states by homicide rate - Wikipedia

Oregon is 1.9% African American http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/oregon-population/ and ranks #41 out of 50 states for homicide rate List of U.S. states by homicide rate - Wikipedia

The state with the lowest homicide rate - New Hampshire - is 1.1% African American New Hampshire - Wikipedia

#FactsAren'tRacist

Simple. Gun laws have zero effect on criminals. Chicago unfortunately has more bad guys per capita which equals more crime. If you want to reduce crime, focus on education, vocational training and reducing poverty. That will have a much bigger impact on crime than more silly gun laws will have.

If I was going to live someplace with such problems as Chicago, I'd want a gun to protect myself... could really happen anywhere.

Heck, I was almost trampled by a deer the other night! Wished I had a gun on me... at least I'd have felt better while running away.

*I couldn't see the animal at the time, except for it's eyes glowing and hear its foot steps.

Simple. Gun laws have zero effect on criminals. Chicago unfortunately has more bad guys per capita which equals more crime. If you want to reduce crime, focus on education, vocational training and reducing poverty. That will have a much bigger impact on crime than more silly gun laws will have.

Broken family structures, sub-culture restraints/friction (i.e. you're an Uncle Tom if you try to rise above the "norm"), and drug use exacerbate the situation.

Jamming people closer and closer together, to the point of being stacked on top of each other even, sure doesn't help matters.
Right here in PDX in my lovely Cully Neighborhood, rose City, Hollywood and all over huge apartment complexes are being built with little, or NO PARKING! What happens when you jamb too many animals in too small of cage? They start to eat each other! This all brought to you buy the mayors and city council people of Portland Oregon in the last 30 years.

Los Angeles, New York, Detroit, Chicago, etc are just pictures of the potland come.

High poverty rate of an area=high crime rate. Doesnt matter the skin color.

Both poverty rate and race are factors.

President Trump has been strongly criticized for suggesting that federal troops might be needed to combat the increased killings in many urban neighborhoods. Critics point to a 40 percent jobless rate for black men in central cities. To reduce killings, they claim, joblessness must be reduced.

But the facts show otherwise. The data suggest that violent crime rates in American cities primarily reflects a subculture embraced by a small core of black men and has little to do with employment opportunities. For 34 of the largest cities, the figure below indicates the relationship between each city's share of black men, 20 to 34 years old, and its 2014 violent crime rate. Using multiple regressions, the correlation is highly statistically significant, while the citywide jobless rate is not. These findings indicate that the racial composition of young men is a stronger predictor of a city's violent crime rate than labor market conditions.

...Steffensmeier et al. suggest "caution and uncertainty about the notion that structural sources of violence affect racial/ethnic groups in uniform ways." They presented evidence based on 232 census tracts. Each of these census tracts was almost exclusively black, white, or Hispanic. They computed the share of individuals living in poverty in each of these tracts and compared it to the violent crime rate there.

...The figure does indicate that black and white census tracts have slightly higher violent crime rates as the level of census tract poverty increases. However, at each poverty concentration level, the violent crime rate is substantially higher in black than in white census tracts. Moreover, there are many Hispanic census tracts with high poverty concentration levels but relatively low rates of violent crime.

Steffensmeier et al. also found the same patterns when looking at the relationship between unemployment and violent crime rates. Holding unemployment rates constant, black census tracts had much higher violent crime rates than either white or Hispanic ones.

Read more at https://www.realclearpolicy.com/articles/2017/02/16/race_and_rising_violent_crime.html

Yes, poverty is a factor in crime rates. But saying "Doesnt matter the skin color" simply isn't supported by research.

Last Edited:
Both poverty rate and race are factors.

Yes, poverty is a factor in crime rates. But saying "Doesnt matter the skin color" simply isn't supported by research.
You're a lot more likely to get mugged by a poor white person than a rich black person.
Class has more to do with it than ethnicity.

Ethnicity can affect your class status, but that doesn't mean it ultimately determines class status.

You're a lot more likely to get mugged by a poor white person than a rich black person.
Class has more to do with it than ethnicity.

As the study I quoted above showed, given the same level of poverty you are more likely to be mugged by a poor black person than by a poor white person, or more accurately more likely to be mugged in a poor black neighborhood than in an equally poor white neighborhood.

However, at each poverty concentration level, the violent crime rate is substantially higher in black than in white census tracts. Moreover, there are many Hispanic census tracts with high poverty concentration levels but relatively low rates of violent crime.

Even the Rev. Jesse Jackson isn't blind to reality.

"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved."

― Jesse Jackson

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews