JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just wanted to share my first experience with these. I found a complete set on Ebay for under what they retail for. I don't think most of them have ever been used, they look brand new. They retail on Chiappa's site for $450, and considering the quality, I'd say that's a pretty fair price. I got the set for $300 to my door.

I finally got a chance to take the set out this weekend, but only got to try one adapter. They fit snug inside my break-barrel 12-gauge - so snug, I couldn't get the adapter out - I had heard you should keep a wooden dowel on hand to punch them out, and I forgot. They are fully rifled for accuracy (save for the 20 gauge adapter) and right about 8" long overall. I've also heard it's good they fit snuggly (they have a rubber o-ring to hold them tight) so the adapter won't rotate as the bullet engages the threads, supposedly helping with accuracy. I guess some earlier adapters had problems with rotating inside the shotgun barrel which messed with accuracy.

I used the .45acp adapter, shooting at 50 yards using just the front bead sight on my shotgun. Now, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but I have to say the 50-yard group was nice (for me anyway). The .45 was pleasant to shoot, not much recoil. All shots landed within 4" of each other. I think if I had taken more time with each shot, I might have improved that a bit - I put any blame for lack of accuracy on myself, not the adapter. At 8" long, they seem to be able to stablize the bullets well.

I was prepared to try several other calibers, next time, I'll bring the dowel :( I really wanted to put some .357 downrange on this trip. Next time.

Anyway, just wanted to share. In these post 941 days, it's kind of a nice option to add some extra fun into your life while leaving Auntie Kate and Uncle Floyd out of your wallet. I bought this really for fun more than anything, and I plan to do just that. I'm sure some folks might consider it for prepping, hiking, camping or hunting. The set is a bit heavy - a few pounds, but still fairly compact. And I'd say they're built to last a lifetime.

http://store.chiappafirearms.com/accessories/modern/x-caliber-gauge-adapter-set-8-pcs.html

xcal.jpg

You lucky dog you!

Congrats! I now have a set on my "wish list":D.

At one point, Chiappa announced that they were going to release adapters in 7.62x39, .223/5.56 and .308 - there are even videos on YouTube that show them. I think those would be fun to have as well, but I can't find the darn things anywhere. I'm thinking maybe they changed their minds?

I would guess that since they are rifled that they can stablize the pistol cartridges in those 8" tubes but not the rifle rounds?

I know people make 9" .223 pistols etc but I've heard poor things about the ballistics. Something about not enough barrel to burn all the powder... Idunno?

Etrain, excellent review. THANK YOU! To anyone looking, a couple of regular retailers are offering the sets at @ $300. Lanbos Armory has it for slightly less (including shipping). Considering the Mfg time, that's a great value. Nice to now know that the stuff works etrain, thanks for being a guinea pig for the rest of us and sharing it too:)

This is why they changed out of the calibers you noted (direct quote from Email April 2013):

"THE CHANGE: To ensure the highest rate of accuracy and adaptability when it comes to utilizing the most common and widely manufactured calibers of ammunition on the market today, Gear Up has elected to substitute the exclusive patented back-pressure diffusing .223 / 7.62x.39 / and .308 gauge adapters with the BRAND NEW .40 S&W, 44 Magnum, and 20 Ga adapters.

THE REASON: Whereas the exclusive back-pressure diffusing .223 / 7.62x.39 / and .308 X Caliber adapters have performed extremely well when used with a variety of single-shot shotgun brands, a variable outside of our manufacturer's control has been detected in the mechanics of some shotgun models: Mainly, the firing pin tension strength varies between shotgun models and in some instances does not discharge at a 100% reliable rate at 1st attempt with these specific adapters. Rifle caliber ammunition by design requires a slightly more forceful firing pin/primer impact, which is adequate in a variety of single shot shotgun platforms, but not all.

In survival situations, Gear Up demands the highest possible reliability standards for all of our products, and our customers deserve the best chance for success in the field, therefore we opted to modify the system with the inclusion of our new .40 S&W, 44 Magnum, and 20 Ga adapters."

Etrain, excellent review. THANK YOU! To anyone looking, a couple of regular retailers are offering the sets at @ $300. Lanbos Armory has it for slightly less (including shipping). Considering the Mfg time, that's a great value. Nice to now know that the stuff works etrain, thanks for being a guinea pig for the rest of us and sharing it too:)

This is why they changed out of the calibers you noted (direct quote from Email April 2013):

"THE CHANGE: To ensure the highest rate of accuracy and adaptability when it comes to utilizing the most common and widely manufactured calibers of ammunition on the market today, Gear Up has elected to substitute the exclusive patented back-pressure diffusing .223 / 7.62x.39 / and .308 gauge adapters with the BRAND NEW .40 S&W, 44 Magnum, and 20 Ga adapters.

THE REASON: Whereas the exclusive back-pressure diffusing .223 / 7.62x.39 / and .308 X Caliber adapters have performed extremely well when used with a variety of single-shot shotgun brands, a variable outside of our manufacturer's control has been detected in the mechanics of some shotgun models: Mainly, the firing pin tension strength varies between shotgun models and in some instances does not discharge at a 100% reliable rate at 1st attempt with these specific adapters. Rifle caliber ammunition by design requires a slightly more forceful firing pin/primer impact, which is adequate in a variety of single shot shotgun platforms, but not all.

In survival situations, Gear Up demands the highest possible reliability standards for all of our products, and our customers deserve the best chance for success in the field, therefore we opted to modify the system with the inclusion of our new .40 S&W, 44 Magnum, and 20 Ga adapters."

Awesome info, thanks for sharing! I had looked for something just like that, and I couldn't even find it on Chiappa's website. It's good to know why they made the change, if not a bit disappointing :(

I can't wait to get back to the range to try some other calibers, but yes, it is a lot of fun, and could be effective and useful in certain survival or hunting situations. At $300 from Lanbos', that's a great deal, good to know for the folks that might be thinking about one. And yes, considering the work that goes into making 8 different adapters, I think it's a fantastic price.

Thanks again for sharing that info! Glad you enjoyed the review.

I needed adapters to fit a 20ga rather than 12ga, so that limited my choices of whose adapters I could buy. I got several individual adapters (.38, 9mm) from Short Lane rather than buying a set. Their inexpensive 3-inch adapters seem to work almost as well as the pricier 8-inch adapters. I haven't tried the 5-inchers.

Last Edited:
You need a much longer barrel to fully realize the potential of a 45-70 but 18 inches with a modern load would be sufficient for deer hunting at up to 150 yards

You need a much longer barrel to fully realize the potential of a 45-70 but 18 inches with a modern load would be sufficient for deer hunting at up to 150 yards
The 45-70 revolvers generally have barrel lengths of 8" and are easily sufficient for buffalo out to 150yds.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews