JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
UM: NHTSA Cautions Against Leaving Chevrolet Bolt EVs Indoors. "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has issued an alert pertaining to Chevrolet Bolt owners, as the vehicles' LG Chem battery packs could have a propensity to catch fire. On Wednesday, the safety organization recommended that the cars be left outdoors (ideally a healthy distance from anything flammable) and never left unattended while charging."

Questions
All Chevy's?
Hybrids?
All GM?
All GM Global Partners....

Great technology huh? Batteries have been catching fire and exploding for ever. You'd think that as advanced as we are they would come up with something to halt batteries going critical? Nah, get the money from the suckers FIRST! Question to those that are of the mind they are saving the "Earth" when they buy battery cars....What's your answer to millions,(billions?) of tons of extremely toxic substances when these batteries are no longer viable?

That's just a joke, I don't really need an answer. :s0140:

Last Edited:
More bad news for Electric powered vehicles.

Poor Design / Engineering / And I might guess managerial oversight. They /had/ to get the contract.

100% Failure for a Bus in 5 years.
""More than two dozen electric Proterra buses first unveiled by the city of Philadelphia in 2016 are already out of operation, according to a WHYY investigation. The entire fleet of Proterra buses was removed from the roads by SEPTA, the city's transit authority, in February 2020"

Solid state is the future, the lithium based batteries were a great leap forward in energy density; however, they will eventually be relics like NiMh or NiCad.

... or, it may end up as a future technology like cold fusion, that's perpetually a decade away lol

-Robert

More bad news for Electric powered vehicles.

Poor Design / Engineering / And I might guess managerial oversight. They /had/ to get the contract.

100% Failure for a Bus in 5 years.
""More than two dozen electric Proterra buses first unveiled by the city of Philadelphia in 2016 are already out of operation, according to a WHYY investigation. The entire fleet of Proterra buses was removed from the roads by SEPTA, the city's transit authority, in February 2020"

The article said:
the weight of the powerful battery was cracking the vehicles' chassis, and the battery life was insufficient for the city's bus routes
There is so much fail in that article you really have to read the whole thing.

I tried to find those little failures they had on the market in the '90s I think? It was called "Zip Truck" or zip something. They had a little truck and they never really took off. But those people that bought them got totally screwed. The batteries failed prematurely I think? Then they couldn't get batteries for them, or they were insanely expensive to replace. Who remembers those? Damn they were real ugly too. The truck was a three wheeler maybe.

%2Ff6%2Fb9%2Fa2%2Ff6b9a20dae06f29edd02bc5d051f208f.jpg

Back in the 2008-10 timeframe, the client I worked for had a cafe vendor on-site who used one of these. You may have seen the manager running around Hillsboro in theirs.

ges.thetruthaboutcars.com%2F2008%2F03%2FZAP_XEBRA1.jpg

Last Edited:
I tried to find those little failures they had on the market in the '90s I think? It was called "Zip Truck" or zip something. They had a little truck and they never really took off. But those people that bought them got totally screwed. The batteries failed prematurely I think? Then they couldn't get batteries for them, or they were insanely expensive to replace. Who remembers those? Damn they were real ugly too. The truck was a three wheeler maybe.
Had forgotten about them. Here is some interesting reading on them:

Had forgotten about them. Here is some interesting reading on them:

Interesting. What stood out of that whole article, as far as entertainment, was...The company also agreed that it would declare all its 2008 Xebra vehicles as "junk" so that no one could try to modify and resell them in the US (Source).

LOL.

Gosh that was fugly car.

Can't tell you how many lithium batteries I've had go kaboom in my years racing RC. Then again I was able to program my speed controller to dismiss the low voltage cut off and keep pulling. Then there was my heavy rigs that ran 4-6 cell packs and though I always tried to balance each cell, one would slowly start to weaken or two. They would drain quicker than the other cells in the pack and start to drop below nominal voltage before the others. Most speed controllers then calculated voltage of the entire battery pack and not an individual cell, so as long as the total voltage was above the cut off limits, it allowed the battery pack to have way unbalanced individual cells. One would balloon mid race, rupture, catch fire, and if not caught fast enough would chain react to the other cells and the whole RC would be on fire before you knew it.

Doing a quick look, looks like around 3K to get one of the newest versions. For places where people drive around in golf carts it might be a great alternative. Looks like a golf cart made to travel around small communities is several times the cost of one of these things. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top